VMware Cloud Community
Khue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Automation Question

I have a need to create an automated process. We are running a set of webservers that get updated constantly. Our DR plan consists of using a clone of the physical servers when things go wrong. Currently I have to schedule the task out in advance with the converter aspect of VC. What I would like to do is schedule a repeating task that will do a P2V routinely. For example, developers update Webserver1 Monday - Thursday and on Friday night, I want to P2V Webserver1 and overwrite the old P2V of Webserver1 (overwrite is optional). This process should happen every Friday at 02:00.

Has anyone figured out a way to do this or developed a way to do this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The Converter plugin for Virtual Center 3.5u2 has a UI for scheduled recurring P2V's.

0 Kudos
Khue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does it? I am currently on 3.5 and have not had an opportunity to update yet (prior to license date/time issue). Where is it in the 3.5u2 gui? Maybe I have access to it I just haven't found it yet. I am currently investigating the p2vtool as was mentioned in some other posts. I am currently running converter plugin version 4.0.0.62387.

0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert

Go to scheduled tasks on the toolbar in Vi Client. you can schedule things such as clone a virtual machine, import a machine, etc.

Mike

0 Kudos
Khue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have previous setup 3 tasks before to do the P2V copy however they were a one time only operation. To run the processes again I would have to rerun the existing tasks or create new ones. Scheduling the tasks seems to be trivial as you have pointed out. Are you seeing the recurring option inside the task or is it somewhere else?

0 Kudos