VMware Cloud Community
billu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Attempting to convert powered on Win2k3 - SSL Error EOF - host certificate is not complete

I am attempted to convert a Win2k3 physical server to virtual ( ESX 4.1 ). When I attempt the connection to the Win2k3 box, Converter errors out:

general system error occurred ssl exception unexpected eof

I looked through the logs and found this:

Host certificate is not complete.

I have searched through the KB articles and Googled and can't seem to find a resolution. I have tried connecting directly to IP, FQDN and disabling SSL checks in advanced settings - still go no...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkLomas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I came across this problem today, and found this possible solution for you (fixed it for me);

When you connect to a powered-on server using VMWare converter, the tool attempts to interrogate the target server using a number of methods, including attempting to try to connect to any existing VMWare converter agents on that target system. The default port for VMWare converter agent is 9090. If VMWare converter can connect to the machine, but gets no answer on port 9090, it should then proceed to ask you if you want it to automatically deploy the converter agent onto the target system for you,

In my case, something else on the target server was already using port 9090, and this confused VMWare converter into giving the error you described. Your two choices are to either temporarily disable the software using 9090, or manually install the converter agent, choosing a different port during the installation wizard. If you decided on this latter option, be sure to specify the port to connect to when you attempt the VMWare conversion again, by using the format (eg server01:9091)

Hope this helps!

--

Mark Lomas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarkLomas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I came across this problem today, and found this possible solution for you (fixed it for me);

When you connect to a powered-on server using VMWare converter, the tool attempts to interrogate the target server using a number of methods, including attempting to try to connect to any existing VMWare converter agents on that target system. The default port for VMWare converter agent is 9090. If VMWare converter can connect to the machine, but gets no answer on port 9090, it should then proceed to ask you if you want it to automatically deploy the converter agent onto the target system for you,

In my case, something else on the target server was already using port 9090, and this confused VMWare converter into giving the error you described. Your two choices are to either temporarily disable the software using 9090, or manually install the converter agent, choosing a different port during the installation wizard. If you decided on this latter option, be sure to specify the port to connect to when you attempt the VMWare conversion again, by using the format (eg server01:9091)

Hope this helps!

--

Mark Lomas

0 Kudos
billu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That was it - something is listening on 9090!!

Thanks a ton!!

EDIT: the listening process was Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager... Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
dannyvp20
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Right on target. This was exactly my issue also. Just stop Symantec Endpoint Manager in services and you'll be good to go.

0 Kudos