VMware Cloud Community
cademichaels
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

['App' 5176 error] [blockLevelVolumeCloningTaskImpl,353] Error 1117 reading 4096 bytes starting from 87509266432 from the source volume

I am running Windows XP Pro and am trying to convert my machine as a backup before I send it in for repair

I have some bad sectors on my hard drive which is why I am sending it in for repair but also what I bet is the reason I am having this problem. Attached are my log files. If the bad sectors are the problem is there a way to tell VMWare to ignore the bad sectors?

Any help would be appreciated

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
paragsha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Currently there is no option to ignore bad sectors. You can try reducing the size of the destination disk to minimum on the "source data" page. (If there are no files on the damaged sectors, the cloning would succeed.)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
paragsha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Currently there is no option to ignore bad sectors. You can try reducing the size of the destination disk to minimum on the "source data" page. (If there are no files on the damaged sectors, the cloning would succeed.)

0 Kudos
cademichaels
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If anyone runs into this problem use the following steps

1- run CHKDSK /f /r

2- begin importing as normal but than do as I was told above (On the source data page select "Minimum Size" when creating the virtual machine)

It should run fine now.

Thanks for your help Paragsha!

0 Kudos