VMware Cloud Community
DGI_Drift
Contributor
Contributor

An error occurred while opening a virtual disk. Verify that the converter server and the running source machines have a network access to the source and destination ESX/ESXi hosts

Hi

I uses the newest version of VMware Converter, and got this error:

An error occurred while opening a virtual disk. Verify that the converter server and the running source machines have a network access to the source and destination ESX/ESXi hosts

I can reach the host from the source server on ports 443 and 902.

I have also tried to dettach an host and attach it again, to be sure that I accept the thumbprint.

But I still gets this error.

Is there anyone that knows what I can do to fix this?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It is possible that the source can't resolve the destination or resolves it incorrectly if addressed by name. It is possible that converter server can't access it. It is also possible that this error actually means something different. Please post the log bundle for more info.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
DGI_Drift
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

Added the logbundle in the main thread:)

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The error is:

2014-07-01T09:47:38.917+02:00 [07468 warning 'Default'] [,0] [NFC ERROR] NfcNewAuthdConnectionEx: Failed to connect to peer. Error: Failed to connect to server sko-esx-062.ad.dgi.no:902

Check again whether the source machine can connect exactly to sko-esx-062.ad.dgi.no on port 902

If there is a name resolution issue, the workaround is to put the ESX name and IP in source machine hosts file.

HTH

Plamen

0 Kudos
DGI_Drift
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, and thanks for your help so far Smiley Happy

It is strange, because if I select one host (sko-esx-062.ad.dgi.no), it randomly select some other host.

I have 11 VMware hosts and even if I select one specific host, VMware Converter randomly select any of the 11 host I have.

It have been like this as long as I have tried VMware Converter, so I make our firewall guys open up for 443 and 902 to all my hosts

Our firewall guys say they have open all, but I now see that I get "first packet isn't SYN" in the firewall log.

When I try telnet sko-esx-062.ad.dgi.no 902, I get now answer :smileyconfused:

So I need to talk more to them, I think:)

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Are these hosts in a automated DRS cluster? If so, it is the DRS scheduler that selects the host, not Converter. Making the cluster manual will allow you to select the destination host in wizard.

0 Kudos
DGI_Drift
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, of course :smileysilly:

Thanks.

Will try in manual DRS mode:)

0 Kudos
DGI_Drift
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same result, but I'm sure it is something to do with firewall or routing.

I will take it with our network guys, and hope they can help me:)

Because I can't see that this is anything to do with VMware Smiley Happy

Thanks for all your help

0 Kudos