VMware Cloud Community
BenM07
Contributor
Contributor

An Experience with VMWare Converter and W2K...

Hi,

Just a quick account of my most recent experience with converter and a W2K machine....

Machine is a dual pentium Dell with 512Mb RAM and a small RAID5 disk array (no mirroring)

1. Running VMWare Converter with a target on a network drive failed... 5%, 50%, 97% then died. Various things in the log file but nothing obvious like failed to read data. On the target disk drive, the vmdk file only got to 4Mb and no more. Any number of reinstalls, reboots and removal of temporary directories made no difference.

2. Installed Symantec Ghost 10.x - The ghost backup failed when the target directory was the network drive, BUT it reported that windows failed to complete a delayed write. I added a local USB drive and ran Ghost set to create the image files on the USB device. All happy.

3. Copied the ghost files to our VMWare host, tried to run the converter on the VMWare host - import failed with 'Can't understand file format'

4. Ran VMWare converter on source machine, using the ghost files as input and the USB device as the target - as I type it is running, I wonder if it will finish?

If this finishes, it will be the second W2K conversion that I have managed to do in less than a week... I only have one more to go.

I Hope this may give a pointer or two for others in pain from VMWare Converter 3.0

B.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
tom_e_reynolds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Was it Hardware RAID or Software RAID?

thanks.

0 Kudos
BenM07
Contributor
Contributor

It was a DELL PERC Hardware Raid... configured as RAID5 with 3 physical devices.

The conversion from Ghost to VMWare took from 16:25 yesterday until 02:55 this morning... the duration probably due to the USB 1.0 interface on the machine :smileygrin:

I did subsequently find that the network interface had a duplex mismatch between the card and the network switch (If you want a job doing properly you best do it yourself Smiley Sad )

Anyway, After a few interesting moments, the VM version of the beast is up and running.

VMWare converter 3.0 seems to be a bit temperamental, but will run eventually - even if you have to ghost the machine first.

B.

0 Kudos