VMware Cloud Community
ISexpress
Contributor
Contributor

All DC's in Virtual infrastructure

Hi

We had an interesting problem today and I just wanted to get some feedback on what organisations do in this situation.

We have 2 DCs/DNS servers within our ESX4 cluster.

We recently had to power the network down but ran into an issue with our vCenter server not able to authenticate when bringing our Virtual infrastructure back up. This was likely due to the fact that the DCs were still powered off.

As our DCs are virtual is there any best practises with our best to manage this process?

In the end we had to root onto each ESX host until we found which host the DCs were on so we could turn them on and authentication/DNS began working properly. From then on we were able to login to VC and switch on the rest of the machines..

We are thinking of adding a physical DC into the environment but just questioning whether we really need to do this or is there a better way in managing how we start our infrastrucutre up in the event when we next need to do a global powerdown and power on.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

That is a common problem with all services which vCenter depends on, for example the vCenter Database. I usually have the needed VMs start automatically with the ESX Host and then start vCenter VM after that.

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
ISexpress
Contributor
Contributor

Thats interesting, didnt know you could do that.

How would I set DCs up so that they come on when power to a host is resumed?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Gooose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I've always kept one of my DC's physical purely to eradicate the issue you had.

My other DC's I have virtualised.

0 Kudos
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

In vCenter select the Host -> Configuration -> VM Startup/Shutdown

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos