VMware Cloud Community
LouWho2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After doing desktop to VM conversion

Hi. Not sure if this belongs here or in workstation forum. I ran the converter and converted my desktop to a VM, (ended up with a 33 GB VM, Win XP SP2). I have two concerns to ask about here. When I go to "Install VM tools", nothing appears to happen. The second thing is that when I bring the system up, I get a message that "your guest OS is Win XP, and you have one or more SCSI devices...etc. etc., you will need to install our driver in the VM". I am not sure if there is an relationship between the two problems. Anyway, I did download vmsci-1.2.0.4.flp, I just do not know what to do with a .flp file. Is this something that I am supposed to use when I am doing the initial conversion from desktop to VM, is it something that I am supposed to use in"settings" before I actually start the vm, or is it something that I execute after I bring up the VM, (how\what executes a flp file)? I can access my c drive, open files, execute Visual studio, etc. Do I really need this flp file? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you go to install VMware Tools, a CD-ROM is mounted. You may need to browse your VM to find the CD-ROM and run the setup.exe manually.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well, the .flp file is a floppy disk image. You can change the VM's Floppy drive settings from using a physical drive to using an image, and point it to the .flp file.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you go to install VMware Tools, a CD-ROM is mounted. You may need to browse your VM to find the CD-ROM and run the setup.exe manually.

0 Kudos
LouWho2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info concerning what a .flp file is. Do I need this if the system boots and I can access my c drive?

0 Kudos
LouWho2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK...VMware tools is looking for something on the CD. Before starting the VM I point to my desktop "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\windows.iso". I start the vm, I try the "Add VMWare tools", it hangs again. Then remembering that you said "run the setup.exe manually". Using the VM file explorer I find my way to "d:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools". I cannot find a setup.exe. Am I looking in the wrong place? Also, would I just double click it to execute it, or open a command window and execute it? Thanks.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The menu VM-->Install VMware Tools is doing the same thing you did manually - point the guest's CD-ROM drive to the windows.iso image file. Either way should work.

In the guest, browse the CD, and run the setup.exe.

0 Kudos
LouWho2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can someone tell me if I really need to use this FLP file? I did point the floppy to this flp file and started the VM and got "ntldr is missing" error.

If I do need his file, how to execute it? I found winimage.exe which opened the flp file. It contains the files disk.tag, txtsetup.oem, vmscsi.cat, vmscsi.inf, and vmscsi.sys. If I really need this, and I were to bring these files to the VM, which file to execute and how, (CMD window, double click, ???). thanks.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Don't connect the flp image at startup - it's not a bootable disk! (hence the ntldr is missing error). It contains the driver for the BusLogic SCSI adapter - needed during install of some Windows OS's (hit F6 if you have a driver disk, blah, blah). If your VM is running, and you've booted it and installed the VMware Tools, then most likely you don't need it. If you do, just connect the image after you've booted the VM; browse to the floppy, right-click on the .inf file on the disk, and select Install.

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The .flp is normally used when installing a brand-new XP Guest. You have to hit F6 during the installation and then provide your SCSI drivers via that floppy disk which you can connect using the .flp floppy image.

0 Kudos