VMware Cloud Community
cyriltam
Contributor
Contributor

After convertion, how can keep the SID for physical

After I convet the W2k3 Ent server, and power on the VM for testing. After that, i found the physical machine is lost on the domain. Can it prevent? or it have any method to pervent this happened.

AMny thx

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jaganpjames
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

if i get your question correctly, you converted a physical machine to VM, and added VM to the domain, without changing the hostname or sid. and then you find the physical machine is not in domain.. ?

SID doesnt change by itself, it can be due to someother reason, that your physical machine get lost access to the DC. After all you are not doing anything on your physical box, during the entire conversion process. check the event viewer on the physical box and see the errors there.

0 Kudos
mowgus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you didn't run sysprep at any point then both systems will have the same SID. However, the domain keeps a machine password that is synced to the machine and is changed monthly (all without your interaction). If you remove/add a machine to the domain (say your vm) it will have a new password on the domain and the other box (your physical) will no longer be able to connect to the domain without being removed and added again.

0 Kudos
cyriltam
Contributor
Contributor

um...just one more question abt it, do it have any methods to pervent? Or it must add the physical again.

0 Kudos
mowgus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You would have to add the physical to the domain again. Keep in mind this will make the virtual machines domain account invalid so if you need to switch back to it at some point you will need to add it to the domain again as well. If you want both of them to run you should run sysprep so they have unique SIDs and names. By the sounds of it you just want to have a virtual copy of the physical machine for backup purposes though.

Mark

0 Kudos