VMware Cloud Community
KenMadsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After conversion, need to repair XP to change win license, but in repair mode it will not recognize hard drive

I converted P2V from a XP SP3 system that was OEM. So, according to MS, I can replace the license key by using the Windows installer Repair option. After finally getting the VM to boot to CD, I was able to run the repair option, but windows setup says it did not find any hard disk drives installed. I can boot from the VM if I cancel and switch the BIOS back to booting from hard drive first.

How to I get it to recognize the hard drive?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rockapot
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The attached picture shows the location where you mount the floppy image.

You just need to right click on the virtual machine instance in Workstation then select "Edit Settings" then you will see the screen as shown in the attached image.

Carl

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Rockapot
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You need to use the SCSI drivers from VMware for Windows XP.

The drivers can be located here: http://www.vmware.com/download/server/drivers_tools.html

Carl

KenMadsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I managed to find the vmscsi-1.2.0.4.flp floppy image for the scsi driver, but I haven't found out how to specifically mount that. I have tried putting it into the vmx, but that doesn't work. Can this be done in player or would it require workstation. Perhaps there is a separate utility?

0 Kudos
Rockapot
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Never used VM player, I only ever use Workstation, Server or ESX.., download Server which is free, install it on your workstation, do the work then revert back to player Smiley Happy

KenMadsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What is the procedure in Server or Workstation to mount the floppy image file?

0 Kudos
Rockapot
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The attached picture shows the location where you mount the floppy image.

You just need to right click on the virtual machine instance in Workstation then select "Edit Settings" then you will see the screen as shown in the attached image.

Carl

0 Kudos
KenMadsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That did it. I installed workstation, made the update, and then started the vm image with player. The vmx update does more that the one item I updated. Best to use tools to modify that file..

Now all I need is MS to tell me the right way to do the repair install to change the product key from an OEM key to a MSDN key.

Thanks much

0 Kudos