VMware Cloud Community
pbVMguy11
Contributor
Contributor

4.3 Converter Unknown Internal Error

Anyone run across Converter Standalone 4.3 getting an internal error while trying to submit the task for the P2V? Conversion?

Running 4.1 ESXi with a Windows 2008 64 bit standard edition VM, and I installed the standalone converter on the 2008 box in a dmz in order to get certain dmz systems virtualized...

Not sure which of the logs I should be focusing on with the client app..

Pete

0 Kudos
20 Replies
pbVMguy11
Contributor
Contributor

FYI, installed 4.3 on a Win2003 32 bit standard VM and the same error comes up...

0 Kudos
pbVMguy11
Contributor
Contributor

also happens when i install the client on the originating machine, or attempt with 4.01 converter client...

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

please provide some details on what you actually try to do - such as the source OS and target for example

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
pbVMguy11
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to do a P2V conversion of a windows 2003 standard edition server to an ESXi 4.1 box...

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

for that task my first choice would converter 3.0.3

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
pbVMguy11
Contributor
Contributor

I've been using 4 on my other same hardware spec machines without a problem...only difference is that these machines are in a dmz...any idea how I would troubleshoot? I don't have licensing for converter 3.0.3 enterprise. The farthest I've got is being able to get to the 1% mark, by adjusting the network settings so the task actually submits but then it bombs out right away... I have a dedicated VM with the standalone installed, what else do i need to allow between the ESXi box and this DMZ?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I don't have licensing for converter 3.0.3 enterprise.

you don't need a license for 3.0.3 - its free

0 Kudos
pbVMguy11
Contributor
Contributor

The starter edition is, but is the enterprise edition so I can get it into ESXi 4? I wasn't able to download it from vmware, it blocked me as not having rights to it...?

Pete

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

let me rephrase it : you do not need the enterprise license

0 Kudos
pbVMguy11
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone have an idea about this? I'd like to stick with the latest version of enterprise that i have a license for and get it to work like I've used on my other machines...

Pete

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

forget it - you need several Converter versions to be prepared for everything

converter 3.0.3 for NT4, 2000, XP and 2003

converter 4.3 for Linux and 2008 and Windows 7

a coldclone CD for those cases where hotclones don't work or are unwise

none of this versions needs a license

0 Kudos
pbVMguy11
Contributor
Contributor

Alright, so I converted over 20 different 2003 machines that weren't in a DMZ running win 2003 server....with the built in ESXi 4.1 import utility....but the first one in a DMZ I try, which blows up the 1% step of the clone and the only troubleshooting method is to switch to a totally different version? How can I troubleshoot what's going wrong here, maybe I can do something about it.

I still don't see how I'm supposed to get this into ESXi 4.1 with converter standalone 3.03 starter edition...it's not an option, and enterprise isn't downloadable with my license set, nor do I wish to purchase it if I can't find out why the first one is failing as it may be fixable.. I'll rebuild the boxes before I go buy something new if i'm not going to bother troubleshooting things...you're telling me there's no way to troubleshoot this?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

feel free to use what you prefer - for 2003 I use Converter 3.0.3 first

0 Kudos
pbVMguy11
Contributor
Contributor

Great..any suggestions on my original question - troubleshooting vcenter standalone?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry - I gave up troubleshooting Converter builds - I find it way more efficient to just switch to plan B without looking back and waste even more time.

0 Kudos
jackjack2
Contributor
Contributor

I just downloaded 3.0.3 and tried it. Without a license, it operates in "starter" mode only and prohibits esx server and virtual center targets. Only after I dug up and installed our enterprise license, obtained back when converter was not a free product, did the current downloadable version of converter version 3.0.3 allow me to designate an esx server as the target. So it would seem that a non restricted version of 3.0.3 is not free, unlike the later versions.

0 Kudos
pbVMguy11
Contributor
Contributor

That's cool, so you're just here boosting your post count here in the converter forums...brilliant.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

That's cool, so you're just here boosting your post count here in the converter forums...brilliant.

funny - do you think I need that ? Read some of those before you judge them.

If you are ready for plan B just make a new post - I am done here

0 Kudos
pbVMguy11
Contributor
Contributor

No seriously, I usually never get too passionate about troubleshooting posts in tech forums, but seriously....why are you so persistant to do nothing in terms of troubleshooting and just try to push me into old versions, even though I'm repeatedly asking for troubleshooting assistance with the product and do not have licensing for old enterprise versions? If you don't know, just leave it so someone else can chime in... why keep posting repeatedly the same thing when I'm looking for other details...what's the purpose?

At least the one other individual who posted had some constructive information other than tossing out version numbers, which I appreciate the follup on, even though it's really more of a followup on the siderailed direction of using old versions of a product, again because the whole thread has been diverted into a converter versioning/licensing discussion

In the meantime I worked out the problem, it had nothing to do with product versions.. from going through all the logs in detail yesterday I was able to resolve a networking port issue within the DMZ that solved the problem through some trial and error. At least we all got 10 posts of banter for people to search on for years to come... Converting 2003 machines to ESXi 4.1 with the latest standalone isn't impossible and has worked just like the other non dmz machines...

Pete

0 Kudos