VMware Cloud Community
njd62495
Contributor
Contributor

3.5 host crashed after conversion

I tried doing a V to V and it crashed 2 of my 3.5 ESX servers (Good thing they are test boxes).

First I couldnt convert the vm as a vm unless I powered it off, so I figured I give Physical Machine a try and it converted the vm from my 3.0 server to my new 3.5 server, but when I went to power the vm on it crashed the system (PSOD). I did the same thing on another 3.5 test box with the same result...PSOD.

I'm going to call VM and see what they can scrap from the log file, but I was wondering if anyone else ran into a similar situation with conversions. I'm not thrilled that powerinf on a vm would take the whole box down.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

You seem to be encountering a lot of problems, but haven't given much detail on the situation. Like what OS are you attempting to V2V, why you couldn't hot clone (errors etc), and what settings you are attempting to use (install tools, customize, resize).

The log to attach to this post would be the vmware-converter.log (capture a record on the system where Converter is installed)

- Contains information regarding the import/reconfiguration steps taken by the agent when converting the physical/virtual machine.

- Is available in the Source Physical Machine OS’s temp directory (C:\Windows\Temp\vmware-temp)

If you are doing a cold clone, you have to pull it out immediately after the conversion fails in real time. In the Converter cold clone application open the File menu, and Export Logs. Save it to the Desktop, and then you will have to send it to a network folder or somewhere else to save it.

Life would be grand if you were using VirtualCenter, because you could just clone the VM instead of using Converter.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Could you post a little more information

what are the OSes of the converted machnies, etc, what process did you utilise to attempt the V2V.

also can you post the logs, this will help us to trouble shoot the issue

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos