VMware Cloud Community
jhdore
Contributor
Contributor

2008 Server R2 P2V won't complete

I've made three attempts at P2V'ing a Windows 2008r2 standard server, and all have stopped around 90-95%, with "5 minutes remaining" being shown. There's no apparent activity, no error messages and nothing obvious in the logs. I'm running Converter Standalone 5.5.3, with the target being our vCenter 5.5 system managing 4x ESXi 5.5 hosts.

Converter is running on the source machine itself.

The VM is created in the datacenter, but I can't power it on as vCenter can't lock the disk file - I assume it's still in use by the Converter, despite the job being cancelled after an hour or more of inactivity.

Not sure where to start with this!

Cheers,

James

0 Kudos
4 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try to restart services: converter-worker, converter-agent and converter-server.

Just curious how many time you wait task to complete without intervention?

0 Kudos
jhdore
Contributor
Contributor

First time I left it four hours, and cancelling overnight - which removed the VM from vCenter as well.

Second time I left it just under an hour.

Third time was about the same.

So - not minutes, but I could still just be being impatient! There's 48GB on C: and 127GB on a second disk, which is mounted on the folder c:\nc\backups

Cheers,

James

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It looks like an NFC (the protocol converter uses for transferring data)  issue at first glance, and these are hard to debug.

I wonder whether it is possible to convert the machine with just the C volume and then copy the other one a different way (SMB, FTP, ..)?

As for the locked file - if it is locked by converter (the client side) , it should be the vstor driver (vstor2-mntapi20-shared); restarting the worker service might not be enough. But it might also be locked by the server side. If so, try restarting the vpxa service on the destination ESX.

Regards

Plamen

0 Kudos
jhdore
Contributor
Contributor

Hrm. I did a reboot with chkdsk overnight, and leaving the P2V over lunchtime got me a completed migration.

Ho hum! Thanks anyways.

Cheers,

James

0 Kudos