VMware Cloud Community
tdean
Contributor
Contributor

2 versions of XP now after inplace upgrade??

well, to combat the oem p2v issue i created a slipstreamed iso with the vmware scsi drivers so i can upgrade right after p2v conversion. it worked, however, now i have 2 xp options to boot to after post. i know i can edit the boot.ini file to get rid of it, but is it normal? also, many of my apps wont launch even if i log in with a cached profile. did i do something wrong?

oh, and i cant put it on the network b/c there is already a machine with the same sid. do you guys normally encounter this or do you have the other machine powered off when you want to test the new one....

Message was edited by: tdean

0 Kudos
2 Replies
paul_xtravirt
Expert
Expert

What OEM problem are you referring to? If you use VMware Convertor to P2V your Windows box, then it will resolve driver issues for you, so you dont need to worry about creating a custom ISO.

The questions you have are Windows related, not VMware. You might get better luck on a Microsoft board, but anyway; here goes:

If you have upgraded a box then you will have one entry in the boot.ini file. You have performed a side by side installation, so in effect your two options are for a dual boot. Any apps installed on the other OS install will need to be reinstalled on the new OS.

Regarding SID issues, you should look at Microsofts Sysprep tool. That will resolve that; however, as I mentioned VMware Convertor previously, that can also resolve this issue as well.

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding points

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding some points
tdean
Contributor
Contributor

hi Paul,

the problems we had converting an oem to p2v was the activation wizard running after. it would not accept the oem or our volume license. then i reactivated with vol lic and converted... same problem. then i was told to do an in place upgrade after conversion but booting to the ms iso, setup was unable to see the hard disks. i slipstreamed the vmware scsi drivers to the install and everything is fine now... except i dont know how to test the image. i guess my question is procedural. how do you test a backup image if the machine you created the image from is still on the network? i understand the sysprep tool etc....i cant log in using any of the cached profiles b/c the new image isnt on the domain, when i try launching them from the new acct i get an error the app hasnt been installed for this user etc....

0 Kudos