VMware Cloud Community
Mahendra2
Contributor
Contributor

Accessing vmx from VM

Hi, 

I understand .vmx is kept at data store for a particular VM. This keeps the settings vcentre uses to spawn a particular VM. 

Is there a way VM can to fetch the data from .vmx file as metadata. Or in particular, can we access .vmx file from within the VM. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Not directly as far as I know.

André

0 Kudos
mvpimran
Contributor
Contributor

.vmx is VM configuration as metadata file and .vmdk is vdisk file for the VM. 

Can I know why do you want access same current in use file from same VM ? 

0 Kudos
Mahendra2
Contributor
Contributor

I want to add few metadata as userdata and use it inside vm.

0 Kudos
Mahendra2
Contributor
Contributor

Is there an indirect way 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What information in the VMX file do you wish the guest OS had access to, and why?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Mahendra2
Contributor
Contributor

It can be any information which can be read by the VM.

For instance, I want to give the role as primary to one VM and secondary to another VM, tertiary to third VM etc.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

For what software?

I don’t think it’s possible to do what I think you’re trying to do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
sampath999
Contributor
Contributor

Are you trying to priorities the VM power on and service start times for a 3 tier application.

If that is the case you can leverage Affinity rules and use vROps to achieve the same in some fashion.

With the given details I'm not able to understand the use case your trying to achieve.

Please provide more information on the use case to give you the information that might help achieve the same 

0 Kudos