VMware Cloud Community
yomangte
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Enabling UNMAP/TRIM in latest version of VMC

Hello.

In SDDC 1.12 and later, I know that the TRIM/UNMAP feature needs to be enabled via CSM as follows:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/85590

Do I have to make a separate request for the latest 1.18 as well?
If so, is there any reason why it is not enabled by default?

Is it because the performance may be affected depending on the customer environment?

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
viquarhcimca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Trim/UNMAP is a feature of VSAN . Even on the VSAN cluster by default its not enabled. as per design . 

Reclaiming Space with Unmap (vmware.com)

since enabling this feature on vsan needs VMs to be power off and power on .  i think because of performance reason   they VMC on AWS  has decided this to be enabled on request based . VMC on AWS is following the VSAN Design . only difference here on VMC on AWS is to get the request approved to enable it. 

Enabling TRIM/UNMAP Commands for VMware Cloud on AWS Clusters

Thanks & Regards,

Mohammed Viquar Ahmed

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Charles69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@yomangte wrote:

Hello.

In SDDC 1.12 and later, I know that the TRIM/UNMAP feature needs to be enabled via CSM as follows:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/85590/MyMerrill

Do I have to make a separate request for the latest 1.18 as well?
If so, is there any reason why it is not enabled by default?

Is it because the performance may be affected depending on the customer environment?

Thank you.

Support for TRIM and UNMAP commands allows vSAN clusters to reclaim space when files are deleted in a VM or when space is allocated for multiple writes to the same file.

0 Kudos
yomangte
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes.

As you said I understand the UNMAP TRIM function.
My question is, is there a reason why SDDC is not activated by default after deployment?

0 Kudos
viquarhcimca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Trim/UNMAP is a feature of VSAN . Even on the VSAN cluster by default its not enabled. as per design . 

Reclaiming Space with Unmap (vmware.com)

since enabling this feature on vsan needs VMs to be power off and power on .  i think because of performance reason   they VMC on AWS  has decided this to be enabled on request based . VMC on AWS is following the VSAN Design . only difference here on VMC on AWS is to get the request approved to enable it. 

Enabling TRIM/UNMAP Commands for VMware Cloud on AWS Clusters

Thanks & Regards,

Mohammed Viquar Ahmed