VMware Cloud Community
chmahe83
Contributor
Contributor

Deploy standalone / independent vSphere replication in VMC on AWS

Hi,

I have a on-premises datacenter in vSphere 6.5 environment and a VMC on AWS subscription. As a interim DR solution, Can i deploy vSphere replication appliance at on-premises and VMC on AWS ?

Does VMC on AWS support deploying vSphere replication appliance (Without using DRAAS SRM) ?

The intent to have the VM available during a DR scenario. I understand it offers a partial or no DR orchestration.

Thanks

Mahesh

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ebernard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dear Mahesh

The only DR solutions supported to VMC are :

- VMware Site Recovery https://cloud.vmware.com/vmware-site-recovery

- or our newest solution called VCDR: https://cloud.vmware.com/cloud-disaster-recovery 

Beyond this, how many VMs do you need to protect? 1 or more?

What are RTO/RPO? 

Emmanuel 

Emmanuel BERNARD
Lead Solution Engineer | VMware Cloud | EMEA

Please mark "Helpful" or "Correct Answer" if applies. Appreciate it.
FReale
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Mahesh, 

as Emmanuel wrote you cannot use vSphere Replication, another workaround could be HCX. 

That could, potentially, allow you to achieve your goals. 

Fabio 

chmahe83
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Emmanuel,

The objective is to achieve low cost DR solution due to budget constraints.

No. of VMs = 70

RPO =  1 hour

RTO = 4 Hour

0 Kudos
ebernard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mahesh

With these RTO/RPO, VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery is the best solution to achieve this. This is a low cost & efficient DR solution even for a small environment.
Or, you still have the choice to use one of 3rd party backup solutions supported by VMC to do backup and restore but keep in mind that following amount of storage to backup/restore you can have more than 4 hours to rehydrate data into your VMC SDDC and that will slightly complicate the process.

You have many ways to leverage this backup mechanism but main idea is to backup from on premise and replicate data repository to a S3 cloud bucket then, once DR needs to be activated configure a new backup instance from the Cloud, import backup then restore to newly created VMC SDDC. You need to check if backup vendor can support S3 export/import and cost for license and evaluate S3 needs.

Of course, with VCDR all these brainers are solved: all inclusive solution (repository, replication, orchestrator..) easier to setup and predictible from a pricing standpoint.

hope that helps!

Emmanuel

Emmanuel BERNARD

chmahe83
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Emmanuel,

Thanks for the answer. As a existing "VMC on AWS" customer, Would i be able to utilize VCDR offering under the same "VMC on AWS" subscription ?

Basically, I am trying to understand if VCDR solution helps me to use Scale out file system (Cloud backup) and VCDR orchestration for my existing "VMC on AWS" subscription ?

0 Kudos
ebernard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dear Mahesh

As it depends of many factors we can't easily answer to this request.

I strongly recommend you to contact your VMware Sales rep who will help you with a VMware Cloud team member support.

I hope you'll have the opportunity to test it and see how easy it's to setup and protect your workloads.

Thank you

Emmanuel

Emmanuel BERNARD

Sylviagy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Dear Mahesh,

I would double check with your VMware Sales rep as suggested by Emmanuel.

However,  I can confirm that your current VMC on AWS subscription will remain valid till the end of the term.

Even if you tear down your current SDDC and create a new one, the new hosts will be covered by the subscription as long as the host type, region and host count remain the same.

Thanks,

Sylvia