VMware Cloud Community
vXav
Expert
Expert

DRaaS and Site Recovery

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the new DRaaS offering that was announced during VMworld 2020.

The point is that you get to replicate your workloads to cheap S3 storage with the ability to have a small footprint SDDC for critical workloads that need fast restore time.

Now I am wondering, is it going to be offered alongside VMware Site Recovery or will it replace it. If the former is true, why would one choose Site Recovery over DRaaS ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SebastianGrugel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi 

I dont have experience with this product DRaaS but I have plan to investigate this more deeply soon. Do you need to maintain very small SDDC and only during disaster cluster is expanding nodes ? ...or is possible to backup VMs from on premise to s3 only...and if disaster happened then new VMC cluster is deploying ?

According your question... in VMware Site Recovery is more expensive because you pay for every protected VM... in this and RTO is much faster....

In case of DRaaS this time in my opinion could be much more longer... depends on how exactly this is working.....

But maybe I'm wrong and somebody from VMware could answer too.

Sebastian

vExpert VSAN/NSX/CLOUD | VCAP5-DCA | VCP6-DCV/CMA/NV ==> akademiadatacenter.pl
0 Kudos
vXav
Expert
Expert

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for your reply. I don't use the product myself, I am merely trying to curb my confusion with the offerings.

Like, is Site recovery made redundant by DRaaS? Or are they aimed at 2 completely different use cases in which case I am missing a major point?

Maybe the fact that I don't use the product and don't have a real world use case for it is partly the reason why I'm confused in the first place 🙂

0 Kudos
SimonLong
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Site Recovery and VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery (VCDR) can be used at the same time. 

We recommend Site Recovery for workloads that have an RPO of less than 4 hours. If the workloads do not require an RPO of less than 4 hours, VCDR can be used.

Of course, there are many differences to the services, but usually, the above statement covers off most questions. 

There is some more information here on the different DR solutions: https://www.vmware.com/solutions/disaster-recovery.html

Simon

Visit My Blog, The SLOG at: http://www.simonlong.co.uk
0 Kudos