VMware Cloud Community
hurdle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

distance between AZ vs Regions

Hi,

My company is starting to take a closer look at  running vMCloud on AWS.  When looking a features and functionality it seems that there are more then a few things that depend on if you are in multiple regions vs multiple availability zones.  Like many customers we have compliance requirements for distance between data centers.  I seem to be having some trouble finding out what the minimum distance is.  Looking on VMware's site, the only thing I can find is the validated design numbers, but those are for on prem configs.  On amazon's site it just list general locations.  I understand why they don't want to give exact locations.  That being said does anyone know where I can find these numbers?  For example AV are X miles  apart vs Regional is Y miles apart.

We are sorta dead in our tracks till we can get that answered.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
i_am_mohit
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Vmware cloud on AWS is Vmware SDDC software stack (Vsphere | NSX | VSAN) running on AWS hardware.

AWS has a concept of Regions and AZ. AZs are like datacenters in a particular region. Fore more details please refer - Global Cloud Infrastructure | Regions & Availability Zones | AWS

AWS doesn't publish the location of these datacenters. However, AZs are located within a region.

Example.

Asia Pacific has a Mumbai region.

and that region has 2 AZs aka Data centers. So you can imagine that these 2 Data centers wouldn't be very far off.

For exact details on the distance between 2 AZs, you would need to reach out to AWS (assuming they publish that data to you under NDA)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
manojmbalan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI,

Generally these informations are not published publicly. If you/your customer is keen to know more about it, suggest kindly reach out to the AWS Compliance team AWS Compliance

Am sure, there would be certain information shared directly using this NDA route

Regards

Manoj

0 Kudos
ryanrpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

IF you think of an AZ as a Datacenter, or multiple DCs within 10-20 miles of each, I would consider a region separation of about 100 miles. You can stretch a VMC cluster across multiple AZs in the same region. If you want to protect yourself against a region failure, you'll need to setup another cluster in another region and look at SRM.

0 Kudos
i_am_mohit
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Vmware cloud on AWS is Vmware SDDC software stack (Vsphere | NSX | VSAN) running on AWS hardware.

AWS has a concept of Regions and AZ. AZs are like datacenters in a particular region. Fore more details please refer - Global Cloud Infrastructure | Regions & Availability Zones | AWS

AWS doesn't publish the location of these datacenters. However, AZs are located within a region.

Example.

Asia Pacific has a Mumbai region.

and that region has 2 AZs aka Data centers. So you can imagine that these 2 Data centers wouldn't be very far off.

For exact details on the distance between 2 AZs, you would need to reach out to AWS (assuming they publish that data to you under NDA)