VMware Cloud Community
madpro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Using Converter on VMware cloud on AWS

Hello there

I was wondering if anyone has issues using Converter in their SDDC. 

I have started getting errors about permissions to create VM. I have CloudAdmin rights so that is not the issue. Attached is the error.

I know Converter is EOL but this worked fine until recently. Version I am using is 6.2, and firewall rules are in place. 

Has anyone come across this before? Or does anyone have another Tool I could use to resize Disks, convert Workstation images to vSphere VMs etc?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
varun123sn
Contributor
Contributor

If you are restoring the VMware or Azure virtual machine from backups, you can recover your VM using it as an Amazon instance.
This feature allows you to transfer virtual machines to the AWS cloud. AWS cloud.
If you're employing the Import method, if you execute an entire instance restore operation on AWS and transform the VM into an AWS instance or replicate the VM to AWS through this Import technique, Commvault creates an S3 bucket for the destination automatically. The bucket is named gx-restore-region_name-account_id, where region_name is the name of the AWS region and account_id is the AWS account for the virtualization client.
You can carry out VM conversions by streaming backups, secondary copies, or IntelliSnap backups. You can't convert using an IntelliSnap Snap copy.

Reminder: Converting Azure VMs encrypted with Azure Disk Encryption is not supported.

Before You Begin

• On any VM you wish to transfer to one of the Amazon EC2 instances, you could require 2 GB of disk space on the OS disk to install drivers and other software.
    If you are you are ready to restore the Azure virtual machine, you must do these things:
    To use Windows computers: turn on your pagefile to be located on the C drive of the original VM. This will help you avoid receiving an error message if you start your destination VM.
    For Linux computers: Make sure that the fstab entries of the source disk must be determined by the UUID of the disk rather than the disk's name. If it's not based on the disk UUID, then the re-created VM won't boot.
    You can use any access node to carry out the conversion, whether operating in an Amazon instance or externally, using access to your Amazon account. Use one or both of these methods.
    Utilizing a cloud access server gives more excellent performance. With an access node in an Amazon instance, it is possible to directly write into Elastic Block Storage (EBS) and inject Amazon drivers required to run destination instances. You need the acess to provide the login credentials of your guest VM. The restoration is done through HotAdd. Hot add method.
    It is necessary to set up Xen driver in Linux guest VMs before making a backup of the VM, which serves as the basis to convert or replicate. Installation of Xen driver on Linux guest VMs will allow the drivers to be present when the Amazon instance is created to ensure it is possible for the Amazon instance to be launched and users have access to it.
    Utilizing an external access point eliminates the costs of running one Amazon instance. The restore operation uses the import method and the gx-restore-region_name-account_id bucket.
    The access node's computer must be capable of connecting to ec2.amazonaws.com. To send messages via an HTTP or HTTPS proxy, check out how to configure a firewall for the Access Node within the Cloud. To use an HTTPS proxy, you must provide authentication details.
    Make backups of the virtual machine on which you are planning to convert.
Tags (1)
muakhtar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try to migrate through veeam backup and replication or starwind migration

Munib Akhtar
VCP-DCV/VCP-DTM/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you