VMware Cloud Community
wilgee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Migrating using VRM

Here's the question:

We are replicating from on prem to VMW on AWS using SRM and VRM. We dont replicate the VRM appliance. 

My question is if our on prem goes kaput how are we going to be able to power on our replicated servers if VRM is on prem and goes down. Should we also replicate VRM so we can power it up or we do also need SRM to be up?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

SRM and vSphere Replication should be powered on at both sides. 

By design, it always looks so - that vCenter, SRM, vSphere Replication, vROPS and others are isolated from the prod environment. In mgmt cluster. 

0 Kudos
jamessmilleree
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I got this information for you, I hope it will help you solve your issue.

If your on-premises VRM appliance goes down and you do not have a replicated copy of it, you will not be able to use it to failover your replicated servers. In this scenario, you would need to have a plan in place for recovering your VRM appliance or deploying a new one.

If you have replicated your SRM servers along with your other servers, you can use the replicated copy of SRM to initiate the failover process. The replicated SRM server can communicate with the replicated VMs on the VMware on AWS environment and start the failover process. However, it's important to note that SRM and VRM work together to facilitate disaster recovery, and both are essential components of a complete disaster recovery solution.

Therefore, it's recommended to have a plan in place for replicating both SRM and VRM appliances. In case of a disaster, you will then be able to use the replicated copies of both appliances to failover your replicated servers.

Thanks

Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@wilgee,

No, you do not need to replicate the VRM appliance as you will have all times one on each side, what you can do is take a backup of the appliance at On-Prem to have a copy of the server.

wilgee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So basically, I can use my appliances in cloud to restore in case of emergency?

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@wilgee,

No, the appliances from cloud are different that the On-Prem ones. You need the appliances from both sides. As I mentioned, you can take backup of the appliance on prem in case something happens and even maybe send the backup to the cloud and once On-Prem is back again, you can restore it there.

0 Kudos
wilgee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Makes sense.

Thank you