VMware Cloud Community
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hybrid Link Mode

Hi all,

In order to enable HLM in VMC on AWS, Is it really important to configure AD (LDAP) user, if yes why?

Ensure that an on-premises DNS server is configured for your management gateway so that it can resolve the FQDN for the identity source and on-premises VMware Cloud on AWS systems?

Regards

PK

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ebernard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dear PK,

You can read this page that provides all details and links to sub section: prerequisites, checklist...

Migrating Virtual Machines

But to answer your questions quickly:

vMotion based migrations needs a L2 VPN connection indeed, just to ensure a communication and continuity to workloads after been migrated. And as you probably saw, HCX is a separate solution to achieve mass migration or at least automated migration. It can of course be installed in addition to L3 or L2 VPN. Each one has its proper role and purpose:

- L3: mostly for admin purpose (HLM, SSO..)

- L2: for vMotion based migrations or VM to VM comm across Cloud.

- HCX: Automated migrations, migration types choice (cold, warm, live....), network extension and Compress/dedupe

So, coming back to your questions about DNS/HLM requirements:

If you want to initiate a vMotion based migration from your on premises vCenter to VMC, you do need a DNS properly to install HLM, as HLM is required to initiate vMotion from vCenter. Otherwise, if you do not want to set your DNS accordingly, you will need to initiate from a script/API.

This is clearly explained here: Hybrid Migration with vMotion Checklist :

[.... Hybrid Linked Mode is required to initiate migration from the vSphere Client. It is not required to initiate migration using the API or PowerCLI...]

I hope this is clear now! 🙂

Good luck!

Emmanuel

Emmanuel BERNARD
Lead Solution Engineer | VMware Cloud | EMEA

Please mark "Helpful" or "Correct Answer" if applies. Appreciate it.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ebernard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi PK

Can you please elaborate? I don't understand your question?

In the meanwhile:

HLM is the ability to use your existing on premises vCenter authentication within VMWonAWS, so you need to be sure that you have properly setup your DNS settings on VMC with on premises DNS to establish communication between cloud and your Datacenter.

So as this page explains, you need :

- to get an established VPN or Direct Connect connection

- DNS Settings properly setup on cloud side

- and at least credentials for an user that has at lease read-only access to your base DN

Looking forward to get more details or if its resolved, please mark as is.

Thanks

Emmanuel

Emmanuel BERNARD

0 Kudos
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Emmanuel,

Thanks for your reply!

I have my testing lab and able to migrate VMs from on-prem to cloud SDDC with policy-based VPN via HCX. ( In this setup we doesn't have AD/DNS configured)

Now, I would like to setup L2-VPN without HCX. And this time, to migrate VM's I need HLM enabled. Correct me if I am wrong?

So, In order to setup HLM in testing environment, Is it mandate to setup DNS settings on VMC with on premises DNS to establish communication between cloud and your Datacenter?

Thank You!

Regards

PK

0 Kudos
ebernard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dear PK,

You can read this page that provides all details and links to sub section: prerequisites, checklist...

Migrating Virtual Machines

But to answer your questions quickly:

vMotion based migrations needs a L2 VPN connection indeed, just to ensure a communication and continuity to workloads after been migrated. And as you probably saw, HCX is a separate solution to achieve mass migration or at least automated migration. It can of course be installed in addition to L3 or L2 VPN. Each one has its proper role and purpose:

- L3: mostly for admin purpose (HLM, SSO..)

- L2: for vMotion based migrations or VM to VM comm across Cloud.

- HCX: Automated migrations, migration types choice (cold, warm, live....), network extension and Compress/dedupe

So, coming back to your questions about DNS/HLM requirements:

If you want to initiate a vMotion based migration from your on premises vCenter to VMC, you do need a DNS properly to install HLM, as HLM is required to initiate vMotion from vCenter. Otherwise, if you do not want to set your DNS accordingly, you will need to initiate from a script/API.

This is clearly explained here: Hybrid Migration with vMotion Checklist :

[.... Hybrid Linked Mode is required to initiate migration from the vSphere Client. It is not required to initiate migration using the API or PowerCLI...]

I hope this is clear now! 🙂

Good luck!

Emmanuel

Emmanuel BERNARD

Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Emmanuel,

Thanks for your help!

I will  mark this thread as resolved and will read all the documents provided by you. I will get back to you in case if any help.

Regards

Pravesh Kaushal

0 Kudos
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

ebernard@Hi Emmanuel,

Coming back to my new query explained as below:

> Can we perform the Vmotion with route-based or policy based VPN setup without HLM enabled?

> L2 VPN is basically stretched my existing network so during Vmotion IP settings of VM will no get changed on VMC, correct? Do we still require HLM in L2 VPN setup?

> In all the Vmotion migrations explained above, do we require a shared storage?

> I have one single SDDC ( VMC on AWS) and multiple physical sites in different locations. Can my Single SDDC connect to multiple physical sites in different locations?

Regards

PK

0 Kudos