VMware Global Community
LeoVanBussel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NIC not the same in real and virtual machines

I have 4 servers running with various roles. (AD, Files and DB).

Two are HP Proliant and two are DELL.

I virtulized all 4 machines in one server.

With the vSphereClient I can start the machines.

So far so good, unfortunately the NIC Drivers of the virtual machine is NOT the

same as the real machine and for that (I Think) the virtual machine can not start the NIC.

I don´t have the original driver copied within the real machine so I cann´t activate it by the console

What can I do to let it work on the network and not only on console

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jbruelasdgo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

well, you will not have ever the same nic driver in th physical and in the virtual hardware

what VMware does is to "virtualize" the hardware for the virtual machine, and it includes a set of software drivers to do so (best practice is to install VMware Tools in the virtual machines, that way you will have the best performance for the networking driver).

by this abstraction, you could move your virtual machine from server A to Server B, even when they differ on the physical NICs (let's say server A has Intel NICs and server B has Broadcomm NICs)

so:

1.- install VMware Tools on your virtual machines

2.- create a vswitch for virtual machines, by going to Configuration Tab / Networking on the ESX and select at least one NIC available

hope this helps

Jose B Ruelas

Jose B Ruelas http://aservir.wordpress.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jbruelasdgo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

well, you will not have ever the same nic driver in th physical and in the virtual hardware

what VMware does is to "virtualize" the hardware for the virtual machine, and it includes a set of software drivers to do so (best practice is to install VMware Tools in the virtual machines, that way you will have the best performance for the networking driver).

by this abstraction, you could move your virtual machine from server A to Server B, even when they differ on the physical NICs (let's say server A has Intel NICs and server B has Broadcomm NICs)

so:

1.- install VMware Tools on your virtual machines

2.- create a vswitch for virtual machines, by going to Configuration Tab / Networking on the ESX and select at least one NIC available

hope this helps

Jose B Ruelas

Jose B Ruelas http://aservir.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
LeoVanBussel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, the answer was right, two of the four I could install the vmware tools and

With that the NIC was responding without any problem. The other two I must first reactivate the

Windows 2003 server before I can install the vmware tools. (I had only three days to do that because

By virtualizing the server it changed the hardware to much and I have to reactivate the server again.)

But that’s my problem, thanks for the tip

Leo van Bussel

Departamento Técnico

LINUXCOM - Tecnologia da Informação

Av. Anita Garibaldi, nº2480 - Loja L-30

São Lourenço - Curitiba - PR

Tel. (41) 3026-6650 Cel. (41) 8464-8001

 Antes de imprimir PENSE NO MEIO AMBIENTE

0 Kudos
xacolabril
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello Leo,

When you virtualize a server, mouse, keyboard, screen and NIC drivers are changed by other VMWare drivers.

Best regards.

Xavier

VMware Certified Professional VCP3 and VCP4.

-

Si encuentras que esta o cualquier otra respuesta ha sido de utilidad, vótalas. Gracias.

If you find this or any other information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points. Thank you.

Xavier Colomé Abril. VMware Certified Professional VCP3, VCP4 and VCP5. [Si encuentras que esta o cualquier otra respuesta ha sido de utilidad, vótalas. Gracias.] [If you find this or any other information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points. Thank you.]
0 Kudos