VMware Cloud Community
td3201
Contributor
Contributor

windows 2008 drive stuck as readonly after snapshot

We are using VADP to protect a Windows 2008 server (active directory and file).  It appears that after enabling this backup with CBT, the D drive on this server is set to read only and I can't figure out why.  The symptoms appear to be exactly what are described in this post:  http://communities.vmware.com/thread/313272

However, the fixes described there (set disk.EnableUUID to false) didn't work for me.  The drive is still read only after a reboot.  I verified that diskpart says it is not readonly.

Just to confirm, the errors I saw after the backup started were this:

Source:        VDS Dynamic Provider
Event ID:      10
The provider failed while storing notifications from the driver. The Virtual Disk Service should be restarted. hr=80042505

Source:        volmgr
Event ID:      57
The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

Then we get these of course:

Source:        Ntfs
Event ID:      141
Description:
{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file D:\pics\Thumbs.db; the data has been lost.  This error may be caused if the device has been removed or the media is write-protected.

I am stuck.  Any ideas?

EDIT:

vSphere 4.1

Latest tools

Guest is Windows 2008 (not R2)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
td3201
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, here's the deal.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200627...

I disabled CBT, removed my vm snapshot, rebooted, and there is still a missing disk in disk manager in windows and my drive is still read only.  I think I am close.  Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi td3201

To make disks writeable, clear the readonly flag. This flag can be cleared in a variety of ways.

In Windows Server 2008, you could use the diskpart utility to clear the flag.

"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoe."
0 Kudos