VMware Cloud Community
sweetmail
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

what OS should I use for VMware Data Recovery 1.2.0.1131

I tried all versions of Linux 32bit OS for the VM setup for this OVF, but I got the same error each time

Your CPU does not suppport long mode. Use a 32bit distribution. --

I am running ESX 4 and vCenter.

Any idea??

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

After setting VT to enabled in your BIOS you may need to power cycle your system (Power off/Power on). A reboot is not sufficiant.

If this does not solve the issue, take a look at KB1003945 - Hardware and firmware requirements for 64bit guest operating systems to see whether your system meets all requirements to run 64-bit OS's.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The VDR appliance is a x64 appliance.

You need to enable Intel VT (or AMD-V).

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
sweetmail
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

enable Intel VT on my ESX host?

Thanks

0 Kudos
sweetmail
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have enable VT in my ESX 4 host and I still getting the same error. Smiley Sad

When I try those 64 bit, it said

" Host CPU is incompatible with the virtual machine's requirements at CPUID level 0x80000001 register 'edx', Host bits: .............blah....blah... * Longmode; required when a virtual machine is configured for a 64-bit guest OS. Note that for systems with Intel CPUs, enabling VT in the BIOS is required for longmode support."

thank you for helping!!!

0 Kudos
Basheer09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

From vDR 1.1 onwards the appliance is of 64 bit. We have to enable Intel VT and NX (No Execution bit ) in the BIOS of the ESX server.

Please try enabling both the option and then reboot the ESX server and Power on the VM. Also you might need to verify if the ESX cluster settings are configured with EVC

The VM OS could be RHEL 5 or CentOS.

Kindly let me know if you get any errors.

0 Kudos
sweetmail
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is my security setting already!!!! I did not change anything after I set Intel VT to enable last night.

Expansion Cared Text --- Disable

Chassis Intrusion --- Disable

XD Technology -- Enable

Intel VT -- Enable

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

After setting VT to enabled in your BIOS you may need to power cycle your system (Power off/Power on). A reboot is not sufficiant.

If this does not solve the issue, take a look at KB1003945 - Hardware and firmware requirements for 64bit guest operating systems to see whether your system meets all requirements to run 64-bit OS's.

André

0 Kudos
sweetmail
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I power recycle the host and it works. The Data Recovery appliance was installed on the VM. On the console, it said. VMware Data Recovery - 1.2.0.1131 Build 260251. https://192.168.0.104:5400/

Does Data Recovery has a default login?

When I go to Solutions and Applicaitons and then VMware Data Recovery. I got the welcome page to VMware Data Recovery. I get the IP address of that Data Recovery VM. But it kept error out. Could not connect to Data Recovery on the appliance. The applicance is powered on and I have even restart it again. Same error.

Any help is greatly appreciated it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
parkut
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The first time login to the backup appliance default credentials are username: root, password: vmw@re

sweetmail
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks, I am able to log into Data Recovery. I look around, everything looks good.

Any idea why I cannot connect to it @ Home --> Solutions and Applications --> VMware Data Recovery?

Thanks

0 Kudos
parkut
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Have you read the VMware Data Recovery Administration Guide for 1.2?

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vdr_12_admin.pdf

sweetmail
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

no, I have not. Will take a look at it.

Thank you much

0 Kudos