VMware Cloud Community
andreas190386
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmware data recovery warning and alarm monitoring

hi all,

does anyone know if it is possible to monitor the warnin and alarm messages from vmware data recovery?

Such as "integrity check" fails, or "backup job incomplete".

I didn´t find anything about that in the user guide.

mfg

andreas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iPhun
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's a pity but there's no way to configure VDR (1.0.2) to send any alarms. Smiley Sad

You might want to script something that runs on the appliance (grep for "failed" so something like that).

Regards,

MaS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
iPhun
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's a pity but there's no way to configure VDR (1.0.2) to send any alarms. Smiley Sad

You might want to script something that runs on the appliance (grep for "failed" so something like that).

Regards,

MaS

0 Kudos
andreas190386
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i thougt that....... but often it is better to ask someone else.

What do you think about Data Recovery? Becuase every day I like this Appliance less, there are often errors or something and

there is no way to find out why, or it takes a lot of time to find out why data recovery couldn´t backup a VM.

Is it in your environment the same, or works it fine?

thanks and best regards

andreas

0 Kudos
iPhun
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm still using VDR (1.0.2), 1.1 has just been released and I'm very curiuos to see if some of the major problems (especially regarding CIFS data stores) have been addressed. 1.1 will be the latest version I will give a try. If things are still horrible, we will have to shift (to DPM?).

Regards,

MaS.

0 Kudos
skayser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you guys happen to come across any other monitoring/alarming features for VDR? Email notifictions upon errors would be good for a start. Right now the only option that I am aware of is to go into the vSphere Client to check for the backup status (which doesn't cut it except for lab environments). I have had a look at /var/vmware/datarecovery/datarecovery-1.log on the VDR VM (for e.g. Nagios monitoring) , but this file isn't always up to date. Just did some backups during this morning, but the file still only holds the backup jobs from yesterday.

Sebastian

0 Kudos
bitbucket
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Email notification is described here http://communities.vmware.com/thread/252977?tstart=10

0 Kudos
skayser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks alot for the link! Lessons learned:

1. /var/vmware/datarecovery/operations_log.utx is the file to look at

2. Can be manually monitored to trigger emails, no out-of-the-box VDR feature

0 Kudos