VMware Cloud Community
wayneoakley-msi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vdp 5.5.5 advanced cannot add a license to a host

i have downloaded and installed the 60 day eval mainly to test the replication feature.

i have the license provided by vmware and added it during the install/configuration

go into the web client then the vdp and the configuration tab.

this page is supposed to have a vdp advanced tab or link to go somewhere to add hosts to the licensed list.

this installation does not have the advanced tab.

on the configuration confirmed the version and the mode is vdp advanced as listed on the left side of the configuration page

also added the license to license manager in vcenter (appliance 5.5)

i'm stuck, cannot do any backups until i have licensed hosts.

any suggestions??

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wayneoakley-msi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ended up shutting down all 5 vdp appliances and the vcenter

interesting item of note is that the vSphere Data Protection item in the left menu of the web client disappears when there are no VDP appliances running.

brought everything up went into the VDP Advanced connection and now the Advanced licensing option is present and working.  do not have an answer for that but at least i can get on with the eval.

at the same time i have been looking into high cpu utilization on the vcenter 5.5 appliance and found it is the VDP appliances.

without any VDP running host cpu is about 40%, started 2 and it went to about 50%, 2 more 60%+ then over the past 4 hours it has settled back to 40%

before the complete shutdown of all VDP and vcenter the vc was running 90% even after a reboot of just the vc.  looks like they occasionally have some issues getting along but a fresh start for everybody seems to work it out.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Check if this helps..

vdp-a.JPG

-Suresh
0 Kudos
wayneoakley-msi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks, that is where i understood it to be but all i have there is the Run Integrity Check option that you normally get

0 Kudos
wayneoakley-msi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ended up shutting down all 5 vdp appliances and the vcenter

interesting item of note is that the vSphere Data Protection item in the left menu of the web client disappears when there are no VDP appliances running.

brought everything up went into the VDP Advanced connection and now the Advanced licensing option is present and working.  do not have an answer for that but at least i can get on with the eval.

at the same time i have been looking into high cpu utilization on the vcenter 5.5 appliance and found it is the VDP appliances.

without any VDP running host cpu is about 40%, started 2 and it went to about 50%, 2 more 60%+ then over the past 4 hours it has settled back to 40%

before the complete shutdown of all VDP and vcenter the vc was running 90% even after a reboot of just the vc.  looks like they occasionally have some issues getting along but a fresh start for everybody seems to work it out.

0 Kudos