VMware Cloud Community
Dinger761
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Data Protection - Seeding Replications - what's the best way?

So here we have the issue, previously I have used Veeam heavily to backup and replicate data into a central data centre.  This worked well and allowed us to go ahead and seed the data by placing a backup of the file servers onto a USB drive, shipping that to the data centre and restoring the virtual machine.  Veeam would then go through, calculate the digests on the first run and send over the changes.

Our corporation is moving to utilising Avamar and VDP as a standard backup solution, and I'm now trying to understand if there is a similar functionality available to allow us to seed the data to the data centre rather than sending everything across a WAN link... for some of our smaller locations, this in itself would take around 6-7 days for an initial replication.  I understand that VDP is different to Veeam in the fact that it only replicates completed backups but there must be a decent way to seed the data for replication.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Note: Discussion successfully moved from VMware ESXi 5 to Backup & Recovery

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos