VMware Cloud Community
IMMIAnt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere Data Protection - File Level Restore

I am hoping that someone can help me or point me in the right direction.

I have installed vDP 5.1.10.32 and am using it to backup my vSphere 5.1 Update environment.  I have approx 40 VMs with about 30 of the VMS running Windows Server 2008 R2 and 10 of those VMs running Redhat Linux 5.7.  When I have tested the recovery of my VMs, I can recover a full Windows VM and I can perform file level restores of indiviual files for the Windows VMs.  I can also do a full recovery of the Linux VMs, but when I try to do a file level restore on the Linux VMs I am not able to see the file systems.

When I login in to the vDP from the Linux VM from a Firefox browser, I get the option to mount the image, but after a small period of time the mount completes but there are not directories/files for me to view.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience and if so what did you do to resolve the problem.

Cheers

IMMIAnt

0 Kudos
2 Replies
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Did you checked whether the file system you have on your linux VM is supported for FLR mount. Admin guide have some details about it.

-Suresh
0 Kudos
IMMIAnt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the linux admin check that and he confirmed that the file system in the linux VM is using LVM with ext3 which is supported according to the Admin guide.

0 Kudos