VMware Cloud Community
SeanAtEnlinx
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Data Protection 6.1 Image backup creating SQL Backups in guest

I have vSphere Data Protection 6.1.2.19 backing up a set of VMs on a Image job. This job appears to be attempting SQL Database backups, as I get a cascade of errors in the event log:

Event 12362, VSS- A shadow Copy LUN was not detected in the system and did not arrive.

Event 1, SQLVDI - SQLVDI: Loc=SignalAbort. Desc=Client initiates abort. ErrorCode=(0)

Event 3041, MSSQLSERVER- BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE model.

Event 18210, MSSQLSERVER- BackupVirtualDeviceFile::SendFileInfoBegin: failure on backup device '{D4F45946-222F-4984-B8DC-7943DE4D38E2}1', Operating system error 995(the I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.

How can I disable the SQL Backups in a VDP Image backup? I'm handling the SQL backups entirely outside of VDP.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RyanJMN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You have to disable VM quiesce.  I wish VMware provided an option to do that for cases like your experiencing.  You do have the option of falling back to a non-quiesced backup but that can still cause applications to crash.  My impression is EMC engineering doesn't believe you would ever want to fully disable VM quiesce from the backup application.  I don't believe they see the value of a non-quiesced VM backup which in my experience can be really useful.  Sometimes its best to have both an application backup and a non-quiesced image backup.  VADP quiesceing can be really buggy and can cause issues with applications especially when using clustering.

Your options:

1. Disable quiescing in backup application.

Oftentimes this is the simplest solution to implement and maintain. Not the case with VDP because its not really an option.

2. Disable VSS application quiescing using the vSphere Client:

See KB for more info: Disabling VSS quiesced application based snapshots in virtual machine (2146204) | VMware KB

3. Disable VSS application quiescing using VMware Tools:

See KB for more info: Disabling VSS quiesced application based snapshots in virtual machine (2146204) | VMware KB

4. Disable specific VSS writers

See KB for more info: Disabling specific VSS writers with VMware Tools (1031200) | VMware KB

I believe VDP will think the VM is quiesced even though it isn't.  Not positive.

SeanAtEnlinx
Contributor
Contributor

Disabling VSS app quiescing using the VMWare Tools option worked for me, Thanks.

0 Kudos