VMware Cloud Community
RecuJML
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere 6 Essential Kits Plus license VDP destination recovered

Hi. 

Does the vSphere 6 Essential Kits Plus license come with 2TB VDP for backups?

We have ESX01 and ESX02 clustered and a storage array.

If we buy an ESX03 outside the cluster ethernet connection and we have ESX03 VDP, I make the backups of the VMs of the datastores of the storage array and store them in ESX03 since that is where I would have VDP.

If we have to recover the VMs, can they be recovered at the ESX03 destination or does it have to be recovered in the original datastores of the storage array?

Thank you.  A greeting.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

VMware VDP goes End of Life 3 or 4 years ago and was last shipped with vSphere 6.5 or so.  But you wanna talk about?

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

No one should be using VDP any more, especially not brand new at this point.

0 Kudos
loungehostmaste
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

what is your alternative at the moment?
VDR/VDP was one key reason to use vSphere Essentials at all in 2010
EMC don't even tell our vendor prices for the unbranded Avamaer so we decided to stay at 6.5 2018
yeah vSphere 6.5 on Skylake SP with Broadwell EVC because that fools tie EVC modes to major versions

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

VMware dont care about "small" customers so much so they leave this field to 3rd. Party like Veeam, Nakivo and countless others.  For SMB Customers Veeam is the ultimate weapon.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
loungehostmaste
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

> VMware dont care about "small" customers so much so they leave this field to 3rd. Party like Veeam, Nakivo and countless others*

get your facts straight

* VDP is EMC Avamar
* VMware is a division of EMC
* EMC was bought by Dell
* the politics changed

they hope to sell a piece which was 10 years part of Essentials Plus for extra money but are too dumb to give my VMware vendor over 12 years even a price or a possibility to sell it - talking about "leave this field" is nonsense

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

They introduces first VDR because they reinvent the wheel by programming their own solution and this ends in a ..... not so successful product to say it friendly. The second attempt was VDP (the avamar stuff) which remove some of the problems by removing functionality  as storing your backup outside from vSphere. (IIRC the last time i worked with VDP only storing the "Backup" on VMFS/ESXi Datastore was supportet).

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
loungehostmaste
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

well, i see no problem with storing on a dadastore

we have a dedicated NFS server directly connected to each host with 10 GBE
every month we suspend the appliance and copy it inclduing the memory dump to an external USB3 drive
there are two of this external drives which are switched each month
one is disconnected inhouse
the second one with the older backup is offhouse

after the external backup just wake up the appliance and you are done
works like a charm over the last 5 years

and yes we tested export the external disk via NFS, wakeup the appliance and restore without reboot
that thing is simply perfect

0 Kudos