VMware Cloud Community
Amir1206
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSAN Restore backup

Hello all, 

I have a Stretched vSAN 6.7 cluster and we tested the failover to only one site. We powered off all ESXi in the first site and VMs automatically powered on in the second site with HA.

The old storage policy was RAIS_5 stretched policy after the failover we changed it to RAID_5 in the second site 

- Création of the VMs from vcenter ok 

- BAckup and snapshot OK 

- Clone - KO 

But, I have a problem in my vSAN Restore and i can't restore. I have the error below 

159373:nsrvproxy_recover: vProxy Log: 2021-10-17T07:09:45Z INFO: [@(#) Build number: 148] Creating directory for storage type "vsan".
159373:nsrvproxy_recover: vProxy Log: 2021-10-17T07:09:45Z ERROR: [@(#) Build number: 148] Unable to create the directory "[TMS_vSAN_Datastore] Zertotest2012_testrestore-nobackup" in datastore: ServerFaultCode: Cannot complete file creation operation.

it's impossible to restore VMs but only backup it. The backup server work fine because i can restore VMs in another data center. 

Do you have some tips about this error ?

Thank you in advance 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Like I said, the option in the policy which should prevent this is called "forced provisioning" but it fully depends on how the backup software does the restore. I have no idea. best to contact the backup vendor and explain the problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Ciao 

It would seem like a permissions problem in restoring the VM on the vSAN infrastructure.

What backup SW do you use?

The user configured in the backup SW to interact with the vSAN vCenter which permissions or to which role has been assigned?

In your information you have also reported:

CLONE - KO
What does it mean?

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hello, hope you are doing well.

I have a few questions:

- What Backup solution are you using?
- Do you have a service account / dedicated user for the backup solution?
- Can you check if the Backup user can create a folder or a VM on vSAN by logging to vCenter?
- Can you check if administrator@vsphere.local can?

0 Kudos
Amir1206
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello, 

The service account we are using has administrator permissions and we already used it before. We were able to backup and restore last week without any disruption. 

We use the same account to restore machines in another site and it's working good. 

Thank you 

0 Kudos
Amir1206
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello, hope you are doing well.

My answers to your questions :

- What Backup solution are you using? Networker DELL-EMC
- Do you have a service account / dedicated user for the backup solution? YES - Already using it to restore before
- Can you check if the Backup user can create a folder or a VM on vSAN by logging to enter? i can create a VM but not a folder. for the folder, i have the error in the attached file 
- Can you check if administrator@vsphere.local can? No impossible too

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Are the VMs restored with the right policy? Because if they are trying to create a "stretched" VM then this will fail. You may need to use the "force provisioning" option in the policy.

0 Kudos
Amir1206
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello, 

I have explored this option and unfortunately i don't think that it's the right way. 

I back up now with the right policy RAID5 and it's impossible to restore it. 

When i try to create a folder in the vsav cluster i have this error : 

There are currently 2 usable fault domains. The operation requires 1 more usable fault domains when backing up from vSAN cluster

May be the problem is the fault domain number. After the failover of the stretched cluster, I have only 1 fault domain configured. 

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

So the problem is the following:

With a stretched cluster you have 3 fault domains:

Datacenter A - Datacenter B - Witness

If one of those is not available, then depending on what you are trying to do, the operation may be blocked. Why? Well if you try to create a folder, and you assigned a default policy to it, and the default policy says that the folder needs to be created in both locations, then both locations will need to be accessible. If this is not the case, then it cannot be created and the operation is blocked.

0 Kudos
Amir1206
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your answers. 

Do you have solution for that or modify something in the vSAN ? 

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Like I said, the option in the policy which should prevent this is called "forced provisioning" but it fully depends on how the backup software does the restore. I have no idea. best to contact the backup vendor and explain the problem.

0 Kudos
Amir1206
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If we activate the forced provisioning in the existing policy this will have a distribution of the VMs and the cluster? 

0 Kudos
Amir1206
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you teams 🙂 you are the best after the creation of a RAID5 policy with forcing provisioning activated.

I applied this new policy to my data store. 

The restore working and big thank you 😀

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

great, thanks for looping back!

0 Kudos