VMware Cloud Community
Prokein
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vDR unable to connect to vCenter

Folks, I have been prowling the forums and google for a while on this and I have read the various solutions people posted yet they do not seem to work in my case.

My vCenter machine has two NICs, one for the external and one for the internal network.  The vDR VM is only connected to the internal network.  DNS is set up on the internal network and contains the proper forward and reverse entries for the vCenter server as well as the vDR VM.  On the vCenter box the internal NIC is configured to use the internal network DNS server.  I even went ahead and added the internal IPs and DNS names to the hosts file on the vCenter box (Windows Server 2008 R2).

I run the vSphere client locally from the vCenter box.  The problem is the same whether I use the internal IP or the internal DNS name as "IP address / Name" in the vSphere client.  When I try to connect to the vDR VM (either by VM name, or by internal IP address, or by internal host name) I get prompted for the vCenter login.

The login screen correctly reflects the internal IP or internal host name I used to connect to vCenter.  However, when I look at the vDR log files I can see that vDR is attempting to connect to vCenter with using the external IP.  This is for vDR version 1.2.1.  I even went ahead and added the internal IP, internal domain name, and alias to the vDR hosts file at /etc/hosts and it STILL attempts to connect to vCenter via the external IP.  What am I missing?  Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

relevant log files attached, external IP address in those logs replaced with xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Peter Prokein VCP5-DCV & VMware IT Academy Instructor
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies