VMware Cloud Community
DCDSDfradeneck
Contributor
Contributor

vDR to vDP: Easy Transition?

We are considering moving to vDP, but I have a few questions before we make the leap and I was hoping to get a few responses from people actually using it right now. 

1).  We have been using vDR for some time now and have weeks of backups that we wouldn't want to lose.  Is there any way to move these to vDP or is it just a start from scratch situation?

2).  vDR was by no means "reliable."  We frequently had problems with integrity checks failing for no apparent reason.  We have had to rebuild data stores and lost weeks of backups in the process.  Is vDP any more reliable or can we expect the same types of problems?  I know that VMware will likely say "Yes it's solid as a rock!" but I'm hoping for an honest answer from someone that has been using it "in the wild."

3).  I've been reading up on the installation process and many stories seem...discouraging.  If you deployed vDP, did the installation go as planned? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1).  We have been using vDR for some time now and have weeks of backups that we wouldn't want to lose.  Is there any way to move these to vDP or is it just a start from scratch situation?

- Currently, you cannot mirgate from VDR to VDP. Migration tool is expected sometime in Jan.

2).  vDR was by no means "reliable."  We frequently had problems with integrity checks failing for no apparent reason.  We have had to rebuild data stores and lost weeks of backups in the process.  Is vDP any more reliable or can we expect the same types of problems?  I know that VMware will likely say "Yes it's solid as a rock!" but I'm hoping for an honest answer from someone that has been using it "in the wild."

- Though VDP is missing some features of VDR, VDP is more robust in terms of actual job(Backup/Restore). I have'nt heard of any complaints about integrity checks. Also VDP provides better dedupe ratio.

3).  I've been reading up on the installation process and many stories seem...discouraging.  If you deployed vDP, did the installation go as planned?

- Some have hard time deploying and bringing up VDP. But as long as you have DNS properly set and follow the instructions correctly, should be fine.

My suggestion is to have VDR protecting some set of VMs and some protected by VDP. In that way you have a chance to explore VDP and migrate in future if required.

-Suresh
indian1980
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your email. I am currently out of office and will be back on 30-October. If there is an urgent query please contact Insystems@globeop.com or 022-4094 8500

This email with all information contained herein or attached hereto may contain confidential and/or privileged information intended for the addressee(s) only. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and immediately delete this email in its entirety and any attachments thereto.

0 Kudos
vladanseget
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

With the latest version of VDP (basic, not the advanced one), it's possible to migrate VDR snapshots (backups) into the VDP. http://www.vladan.fr/how-to-migrate-backups-from-vdr-to-vdp/

Best

Vladan

www.vladan.fr

Vladan SEGET - vExpert 2009-2022, VCAP-DCA/DCD,
ESX Virtualization Blog - www.vladan.fr
0 Kudos