VMware Cloud Community
tman24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vDR problems after upgrade

I've just finished upgrading our vSphere 4.1 cluster to vSphere 5.0U1. The whole process went pretty smooth actually, but I'm having a problem with vDR. In vSphere 4, vDR 1.2 worked pretty well backing up to two 499GB CIFS shares. No problems generally, other than the odd snapshot not being deleted. I'm now trying to use vDR 2.0.1, having followed the VMware vDR upgrade guide.

v2.0.1 can see the existing backup stores ok, but I'm getting this huge problem with CIFS VFS: Send Error In Flush errors, which seem to be a common problem, and one VMware acknowledge as an issue with the samba client in the vDR kernel. I'm aware that vDR is being replaced with VDP in 5.1, but that won't solve my problem at the moment. The only 'fix' I can find is this one, but replacing the kernel seems a bit extreme, and breaks the Tools integration. Seems like vmw could have fixed this, but might have diverted all resources to the new VDP replacement.

I still need vDR at the moment, so my choices are; find a proper fix for 2.0.1 or try and see if 1.2 still works in vSphere 5. Any recommendations?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
tman24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looking at the Software Compatability Matrix, it doesn't actually look like I have an option of going back to 1.2.1 now, so I'm pretty stuck.

I've also tried, as per other recommendations, using the IP address rather than DNS name to connect to the shares, and also trying the user@domain method of auth rather than the older \\domain\user. No better from what I can tell.

0 Kudos