VMware Cloud Community
HenrikElm
Contributor
Contributor

vDR network requirement and How is it really done anyway?

What does the vDR need to talk to? The vCenter of course, but apart from that? It does not need to talk to VMKernel intefaces?

How does it actually pick up the VMs to back them up otherwise? As it runs as a VM (VA) on a host, does it use some cool VMSafe-like API to do the trick?

/Henrik

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Smeagol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah and what are the limitations other than bandwidth when backing up across a WAN link to a vDR appliance over the link?

Is that even possible!?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I don't know about the "VMSafe" reference, but I do know how VDR gets its information. VDR uses the VMDK interface called the Property Collector. You can find out more details in this document: .

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
HenrikElm
Contributor
Contributor

Ah. Interesting paper. Im not developer, but still interesting. The part that says that you program the same regardless of wether you talk to vCenter or a host, would that mean that the DR VA only needs to talk to vCenter? Not VMKernel interface on the host? Is the traffic then funneled via vCenter server? Or is the data picked up in the VA directly from the storage itself?

Right now I only need to know exactly what network connectivity requirements are for the DR VA..

/Henrik

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I believe that it is only necessary for VDR to communicate with the Virtual Center. The Virtual Center steers any necessary network traffic to the servers.

0 Kudos
HenrikElm
Contributor
Contributor

And the data would travel on the san only i hope, from vmdk to vmdk when the order is given? 

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I believe that is correct, yes.

0 Kudos