VMware Cloud Community
Vannus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vDR File level restore issue

Hi All

I have been playing with the new FLR (v1.1) tool, and it appears to have an issue when the VM in question has multiple .VMDK files.

In the mount window both .vmdk files (C: and D:) partition are visable, however when mounting either listed .VMDK (or indeed both) it will only ever mount the C: partion.

I am assuming that this is due to both .VMDK's having the same file name (they are hosted on different LUNS).

Is there any way around this appart from manually renaming the second .VMDK file prior to the backup, which is not only a pain but will be undone the next time it is storage vMotioned.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, this happens because of identically named vmdks on multiple datastores. It should not be an issue for uniquely named vmdks (attached to the same VM), centrally located on same datastore or distributed across different datastores.

0 Kudos
Vannus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes I can see that is the case. We always separate secondary drives onto a different LUN, so in default mode this pretty much negates using the FLR.

So there are 4 questions really.

1) is there an easy way to rename the secondary.VMDK files?

2) is there a way to prevent the .vmdk files being renamed during a storage vMotion?

3) Is there a way to change the default .vmdk naming policy for any new VM's we create?

4) Will this issue be updated in a future release of the FLR tool? (I understand this was an issue for the full restore in version 1.0.2 of DR and this has now been fixed)

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, we plan to update this in a future VDR release - that way there is no need to change the default behavior for other parts of vSphere.

Vannus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cheers for that

0 Kudos