VMware Cloud Community
GregMeathead
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vDR 1.2 I/O error 102

Every time i back up more that 2 VMs at a time i am getting I/O error 102. Im backing up to 490Gb CIFS share, any ideas?

My ESXi is still 4U1 but i don't know if that has anything to do with it.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Is this to an already-populated dedupe store? Or is this a fresh destination? Do you get the same errors if you use 1.1?

0 Kudos
GregMeathead
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Its a fresh load, empty datastore.

I didn't use 1.1, this is a brand new load.

0 Kudos
GregMeathead
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Btw, I can successfully backup one vm every time, sometimes even 2,

but never more at the same time.

All networking is fine, no errors.

0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I/O error normally refer to your storage (CIFS). You can try add additional vmdk (local datastore) to VDR app as destination storage. Then try change backup destination from CIFS to this new destination and run concurrent backup. See whether this time you able to finished the job successfully or not.

vcbMC-1.0.6 Beta

vcbMC-1.0.7 Lite

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
GregMeathead
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

But the only vmdk i can assign will be from my san and idon't want to back up san to san, i need an external location thats why im using CIFS.

Anyway, after the first full backup runs, the next ones take only 2 min to run, because there is not much changes.

So, is it always going to be like this, will the full one run ever again or never, ever, only the changes from now on forever?

0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

But the only vmdk i can assign will be from my san and idon't want to back up san to san, i need an external location thats why im using CIFS.

Anyway, after the first full backup runs, the next ones take only 2 min to run, because there is not much changes.

So, is it always going to be like this, will the full one run ever again or never, ever, only the changes from now on forever?

This how VDR is working currently, I dont think we can start a new cycle (full backup then incremental) every week or month.

Read this

vcbMC-1.0.6 Beta

vcbMC-1.0.7 Lite

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What happens when you run an integrity check the destination disk? Does it report anything back or if everything successful?

0 Kudos
GregMeathead
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually,( i"m about to put a new post about it) it errors out on one VM restore point and marks it damaged.

it is only on this one VM (Windows 200 SP4). I cam mark it for deletion, re initiate integrity check that will delete it.

But then, after i create a new backup (which always completes successfully for this VM )the integrity check will mark it damaged, i have no idea why, always the same VM.

It has 3 HDDs, 5, 8, and 11 gb. I have another win 2000 SP4 VM that has no problems, the affected one is the only one.

0 Kudos