VMware Cloud Community
brizzio
Contributor
Contributor

vDP: staging area as backup destination (for tape recording)...

Hello all,

One our customers is running vSphere 5.0 Essential Plus using vDR to backup their VMs to a "staging area" into a shared folder (SMB) before it being recorded into LTO5 tapes...

As far as I digged into vSphere 5.1 and the new backup utility (vDP) I noticed there's no way to export/save these backups externally... what makes me wonder how can our customers do it, since they're aware of the new vSphere version and are asking to update it.

What am I missing?

Regards,

FABrizzolla

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dhayashi
Contributor
Contributor

i have the same problem, originally i was using VCB exporting to tape, now with VDP the only possible option is to backup the VDP appliance somehow. i was told some folks have come up with interesting workarounds in the various backup solutions on the market.

just be sure to test your backups once you have a solution figured out since VDP is so closely tied to vcenter and sso - well at least it appears that way to me. please correct me if i'm wrong.

dhayashi

0 Kudos
Kelv1n
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Did you ever find an answer for this?

I currently use Veeam Essentials, for Disk 2 Disk, then backup Exec for Disk 2 Tape.. but we now have more ESXi hosts than Veeam licenses. So I was looking to use VDP, but need some way of transferring the backups to tape.

0 Kudos
dhayashi
Contributor
Contributor

I will be using Backup Exec with a set of limit host licenses also, so I'm planning on leaving the VDP on a standalone host that part of the VCenter setup and using the VDP(s) to backup all the vms across the hosts. Then use Backup Exec to backup whats on the standalone host.

Well I'm hoping it works out this way. This would work for you if it matches your backup routine needs as long as it works.

dhayashi

0 Kudos