VMware Cloud Community
SCX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vDP simply does not work

I have almost had it with this product (or at least this release).

I did a very simple Backup of my VM, and tried to do a restore.  The VM is running Ubuntu (if that makes any difference)?, and its VMDK files are around 40GB total.

So far, the  vmdk files of the "Restore" are 80GB+ and growing, with the restore progress meter at 92% and no signs of stopping.

What use is a backup/restore product if you can't trust it?

Off to log another support request...

24 Replies
LoneCrowe
Contributor
Contributor

Veeam seems pretty simple from the free version I've tried.  After looking at some demos from Acronis it looks to have more features and just as simple an interface.  Its slightly cheaper than Veeam too.  Doesn't matter though they all intentionally price their products  similarly on purpose like a cartel.  Its disgusting actually.

Reply
0 Kudos
sm00ter
Contributor
Contributor

Update on where I am with the vDP struggle:

The vAPP idea seemed to be earth shattering....until the 2nd day.  Then we were back to some backups working, some not, and at the same time it got a LOT more confusing because there were VM's that successfully backed up (in the SAME Cluster, vAPP, Resource Pool) and some that did not.  In the SAME backup JOB!  Not cool!

Additionally, there was some buzz about it being an authentication issue, but I changed users that were utilized (again), and jobs still fail.

All things considered, I simply cannot recommend vDP as a backup solution to my customers, and those that are thinking about it, I recommend caution before they start "relying" on it to be their backup solution.

Things vDP needs BEFORE it can be a production ready solution:

Better logging

- During the backup

- After the backup

Better disk/storage utilization

- Dedup is great, but let me use any disk location, not a VMDK

- What is up with the storage limits?

Better Web/vCenter integration

- Should be able to see what the status of each VM backup us at a glance, not just that it is protected

- Show an error/notification on a VM if it is in a vDP backup job, and it's backup failed/isn't complete

Better job scheduling capabilities

- Giving me an over all window for backups is not useful, I want certian things to backup before others

- Ability to launch a backup from the VM (Backup-Now!)

This is just a SMALL list of things in my opinion.

Reply
0 Kudos
BillysGruff
Contributor
Contributor

The required space for a 2TB backup datastore is ridiculous.  Let me manage my space. 

Reply
0 Kudos
gravesg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wasted to much time on this product as well. But simply don't have the budget for just about 70% of my shop. The other 30% tier 1 apps comfortably goes into Avamar but cant justify the footprint for image backups for the whole environment. VDP to the rescue, right..??WRONG.

As with all the above issues, I've had several unrecoverable appliance crashes now that VMware support cant even figure out and it becomes a festering escalation ticket to EMC....

Reply
0 Kudos
devzero
Expert
Expert

for me, this also was a horrible experience, worst vmware product ever.

i put it to trash and replaced it with veeam.

works like a charm and is worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY!