VMware Cloud Community
Eliott100
Contributor
Contributor

using ghettoVCBg2 over slow nas advisable?

Hi!

does anyone has any experience with ghettoVCBg2 with remote NAS targets? The Nas would be at an other geographical location so the effective bandwidth would be about 60-80 Mbps so the backups (copying) would take long. Is it advisable? Does anyone has best practices regarding this use case?

thanks and regards

eliott

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Eliott100
Contributor
Contributor

i am just afraid that the backup would fail during the copy (nas disconnects, connection reset etc)

does someone use nas remote backup over the inernet and vpn?

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

What's the data pipe between locations? If you really have a 60-80Mbps pipe beween them (that's a high DS3 or a couple of them bonded together) then it really depends on the size of the VM's that you're going to run this with. I would try a test with a moderate sized VM (not the largest, but maybe not the smallest either), during hours when there won't be any other traffic on the pipe. If all goes well, try larger and larger VM's until either they all work, or you encounter an issue. I would check to see if anything else is set to use the bandwidth during those times, or if it will be all yours.

Working off of a 60Mbps sustained throughput, you should get about 26GB per hour transferred. Although when it comes to the real world, you could see significantly less than that. Of course, you could see more if the actual pipe is larger, or more resources can be allocated for this purpose.

I know there are backup tools, for site to site backup and recovery, that list certain minimums in order to function at all. I didn't see anything like that listed for the ghettoVCBg2. Provided you have the required ESX/ESXi license, and the source server can see the destination server (and datastore I believe) it's worth a try... I would try something under 100GB in size the first time though, and watch it even if that means remotely monitoring from home, after hours.

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos