VMware Cloud Community
PktProtectors
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

trouble reading files error 3956

I'm currently running Data Recovery v 2.0.0.50

When I try to run a backup of a vm from a datastore to my backup datastore(which is a nfs share), I get the error "Trouble reading files, error - 3956".

Does anyone have any answers for this?

I've seen some posts station making sure you have proper permissions, which I have gone as far as giving permissions to Everyone to see if this would be the problem.  I've also seen it was an issue with VSS which I have checked all of those settings.

I'm at the point I want to pull my hair out!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello,

You may have to manually create the vm, Below is the resolution in detail.

Error -3956 usually indicates that VMware Data Recovery (VDR) failed to create the virtual machine during restore.
This issue may occur if:
  • The virtual machine had an incorrect device backing information at the time of backup. An invalid invalid CD-ROM configuration is common.

To workaround this issue, manually create a virtual machine with same the settings (for example, CPU and memory settings) and restore just the disks to that virtual machine. This can be done by setting Restore Configuration to No in the Restore wizard.

• A virtual machine is on a shared storage and its datastore is accessible to multiple hosts. In this case, Data Recovery chooses an incompatible datastore during restore and fails.

To workaround this issue, verify that the datastores chosen for the virtual machine by the Restore wizard is visible on the ESX host that the restore is being made to. If not, choose a valid datastore manually.

KB Article

Please award correct answer and/or points if you find me helpful

Please award points if you find my answers helpful Thanks RJ Visit www.rjapproves.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello,

You may have to manually create the vm, Below is the resolution in detail.

Error -3956 usually indicates that VMware Data Recovery (VDR) failed to create the virtual machine during restore.
This issue may occur if:
  • The virtual machine had an incorrect device backing information at the time of backup. An invalid invalid CD-ROM configuration is common.

To workaround this issue, manually create a virtual machine with same the settings (for example, CPU and memory settings) and restore just the disks to that virtual machine. This can be done by setting Restore Configuration to No in the Restore wizard.

• A virtual machine is on a shared storage and its datastore is accessible to multiple hosts. In this case, Data Recovery chooses an incompatible datastore during restore and fails.

To workaround this issue, verify that the datastores chosen for the virtual machine by the Restore wizard is visible on the ESX host that the restore is being made to. If not, choose a valid datastore manually.

KB Article

Please award correct answer and/or points if you find me helpful

Please award points if you find my answers helpful Thanks RJ Visit www.rjapproves.com
0 Kudos
PktProtectors
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Ranitcool for the reply,

I didn't mean to hit correct....arg

I have read this kb article prior to posting the issue the first time and none of the resolutions fit the problem I'm having.  This is happening when I'm running the backup job, not when I'm trying to do a restore.  Thus, this information is not valid for my situation.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

No worries, i wont ditch you Smiley Happy

SO tell me about this vm, is it happening only to one vm? if so what is the vm like, what OS, how many disks, lives on shared storage? any cd roms mounted?

R

0 Kudos
PktProtectors
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is my issue and all of my information.

1.  When I try to run a job to backup a vm I receive this error.

2. Backup is to a NFS share on a Svr2k8R2 Box.

3. Datastore for the vm is on a synology nas.

4. NFS share is visible to the ESXi

5. Permissions for the NFS share is set to Everyone to rule out Permission problems.

6. The problem exists in the step when the job is trying to copy, it makes it past creating snapshot, and deduplication.

0 Kudos
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Quick question I have is, have you ever backed it up successfully? Or is this the first time.

R

0 Kudos
PktProtectors
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is the first time. And it's not only one vm it's all of them. Snapshot manually works thought.

Thanks

0 Kudos
STRSOFTWARE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm currently having the same problem.  Just one VM fails with 3956 error when trying to backup.  Just wondering if there was a solution to this error.  It's gets to about 8% complete then errors out.

0 Kudos