VMware Cloud Community
Newbie009
Contributor
Contributor

trouble reading files, error -3946 (disk open failed)

Hi all,

I have just imported the Data Recovery appliance with version 1.0.2.562 into vSphere/vCenter 4.1 update 1

I added a second disk to the appliance that is 500GB in size, located on a SAN but a different datastore from the actual appliance.

I am getting the above error that is preventing the backup from completing.

The backup job creates the snapshot and scans the vm but when it tries to copy it this error occurs.

I have tried the following 2 things:

Use a LUN with Block Size of 8MB

Create the datarecovery.ini file with the option DisableNetworkCopy=0

But the error still exists.

Does anyone know anything about this error? Is it with the appliance or with the LUN itself?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Regards

Mark

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Newbie009
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

Another quick piece of information:

I tried creating the appliance again but this time on the same LUN as the datastore where I will be storing the backups however the same thing happened.

When this is running correctly I will be connecting 2 different LUNs to the appliance.

Any ideas anyone?

Regards

Mark

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

From other posts it looks like this error can occur due to DNS issues. Can you confirm proper DNS resloution, i.e. is the VDR appliance able to resolve the ESXi host names?

André

0 Kudos
Newbie009
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

Thanks for posting.

I can confirm that the Data Recovery appliance can ping all ESX by IP and hostname and also the vCenter server.

Any other ideas?

Regards

Mark

0 Kudos
Newbie009
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to update you all about this case.

I resolved the error.

All I did was to reinstall a later version of Data Recovery - Version 1.2.1.1616

I configured everything the same and this time it worked like a charm.

All I can assume is that there is a compatibility issue with the previous version and ESX/vCenter 4.1 update 1

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone else in the future if they see the same problem.

Regards

Mark

0 Kudos