VMware Cloud Community
Sebasian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the problem with the snapshot after suspended VDP job

Hi, At the beginning I'm sorry, but I don't speak English well.

I have the following problem. When making copies (backup) using the VDP - jobs is suspended. After a long time I had to finish the job manually. Then the job is finished, but remained snapshot. Following more I removed snapshot. Then he showed a message "virtual machine disks consolidation is needed", but in the console snapshot manager - snapshot is gone.

db.jpg

In the configuration dialog guest (vSphere Client) - disk configuration is set to file, which is a snapshot (xx-Server-000001.vmdk).

db2.jpg

In the configuration file xx-Server-000001.vmdk it is used in the virtual disk xx-Server-000001-delta.vmdk. In the virtual machine working location are:

db3.jpg

Please help to reverse this situation and not lose the new data

0 Kudos
4 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Option 1

1) create a new snapshot for that VM

2) go into snapshot manager and Press Delete All.

See if that helps.

Option 2

Right click on VM, go to Snapshot -> consolidate

this will also be a solution that you can apply.

Reference KB

How to consolidate snapshots in vSphere 5.x/6.x (2003638) | VMware KB

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
Sebasian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have done the steps in option 2, the error occurs:

r1.jpgr3.jpg

While option1 I'm afraid of losing data from a virtual disk "xx-Server-000001-delta.vmdk",which is now attached.

Whether VMware consolidates abandoned snapshots taking into account the data you are currently working into a virtual disk "xx-Server-000001-delta.vmdk" ?

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

investigate VM file locked using following KBs

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=21101...

or

Investigating virtual machine file locks on ESXi (10051) | VMware KB

error message itself or vmware.log will tell you which file is already locked, investigate who locked it using above KBs.

once you get to know, let's say it's hostd of same or different ESXi hosts in cluster are locking. Management agent restart of the host which is locking files would help. (restart host management agents)

all depends upon who is lock owners, accordingly you will have to proceed with next steps.

If you have active support entitlement with VMware, an SR with GSS would get this resolved more quickly. as over the community thread it will be little slow, but still doable.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

Hi

You are unable to consolidate because the VDP will lock the client VM's disk.

If you right click the VDP appliance and select Edit Settings, you will see this VM's VMDK (Hard Disk) attached to it.

You will have to select the client VM's VMDK on the Edit Settings of VDP and select Remove (Remove from virtual machine; the first option) and click OK

This will detach the client VMs VMDK from VDP appliance hence releasing the lock.

Then you will have to right click the client VM > Snapshot > Consolidate to make to VM consolidate all its changes and run on base VMDK.

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos