VMware Cloud Community
mdangel1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

snapshot on Oracle and SQL servers

All,

I am a big fan of snapshots for application servers, file servers, etc. I wanted some input on the behavior of taking snapshots of Oracle and SQL severs. Is it supported?

I am no DBA, but it seems to me it may not be best practice.

Your input would be greatly appreciated

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'd recommend using the database level snapshot functions builtin into the database engines instead...

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
maishsk
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you are relying solely on VMware snapshots - the answer is yes - it could cause database corruption.

As Matt said. Database vendor tools should be used for snapshoting your database

Maish Saidel-Keesing • @maishsk • http://technodrone.blogspot.com • VMTN Moderator • vExpert • Co-author of VMware vSphere Design

View solution in original post

5 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'd recommend using the database level snapshot functions builtin into the database engines instead...

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
mdangel1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply Matt. Is it safe to say that capturing VM snapshots of Oracle and SQL vm's is not supported by the vendors.

I know vSPhere will of course let you capture the snapshot, but if there is an issue and I need to revert back, I wonder if there could be Databse corruption.

0 Kudos
maishsk
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you are relying solely on VMware snapshots - the answer is yes - it could cause database corruption.

As Matt said. Database vendor tools should be used for snapshoting your database

Maish Saidel-Keesing • @maishsk • http://technodrone.blogspot.com • VMTN Moderator • vExpert • Co-author of VMware vSphere Design
jhunter1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

mdangel1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you all!!!!!

0 Kudos