VMware Cloud Community
dirtdevil01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

remote backups

I'm setting up data recovery and I want to have a central backup server for all my data centers. The way data recovery is setup, based on my options, I can only do backups/restores with local protocals like SMB, iSCSI and vmdk drives. Is it possible to make secure remote backups of vms with data recovery?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Remote backups may be possible but bandwith to the remote location will be the limiting factor. You might want to look at something other than vDR.Veeam is able to replicate to remote locations.

As for storage protocols don't forget NFS. vDR can use NFS as a destination since NFS can be used for a datastore.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Remote backups may be possible but bandwith to the remote location will be the limiting factor. You might want to look at something other than vDR.Veeam is able to replicate to remote locations.

As for storage protocols don't forget NFS. vDR can use NFS as a destination since NFS can be used for a datastore.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
MarcusSmith
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried vDR over our T1 WAN link to one of our other offices using CIFS (which I KNOW isn't the "preferred" protocol to use, but it's really the only option over the WAN in my case). The integrity check didn't get anywhere close to finishing, even after a whole day. Supposedly you can do it, but you'll need good bandwidth.

0 Kudos