VMware Cloud Community
inadmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

problem after server crashing

hi all, i have one file in of my datastore following a server crash and i'm not sure if it can recovered.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Oh okay, so that means the contents are still there, which is good but you need to recreate the descriptor file. I advise you to follow the next KB that details properly the step by step on how to recreate the descriptor file which will point to the disk content (flat-vmdk)

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1002511

PS: Note that on point 3 you probably do not have the .vmx (I am assuming here) with the details of the SCSI adapter used but the default one is LSI Logic SAS so on the new empty VM you can start with the same.

Read carefully, start one point by one and in case it gets complex you can even reach me out on the messages.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
inadmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, it worked!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There is an area of VMTN for backup/recovery issue with vSphere, thread reported asking moderators to move it there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey @inadmin,

It seems that you have the .vmdk descriptor file and the flat-vmdk with the contents of the disk. 

Let´s do the next:

1. Create an empty VM with the name of your choice.
  2. Follow the steps on the Wizard.
  3. In the last step select to add existing hard disk.
  4. Select the .vmdk file.

After that power it on and see if the VM can read the content.

0 Kudos
inadmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi and thank you answering, the 2nd file is just something I played with (trying to recover).

That flat disk cannot be selected as it's "greyed out" (sorry not a VMWARE expert)

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Oh okay, so that means the contents are still there, which is good but you need to recreate the descriptor file. I advise you to follow the next KB that details properly the step by step on how to recreate the descriptor file which will point to the disk content (flat-vmdk)

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1002511

PS: Note that on point 3 you probably do not have the .vmx (I am assuming here) with the details of the SCSI adapter used but the default one is LSI Logic SAS so on the new empty VM you can start with the same.

Read carefully, start one point by one and in case it gets complex you can even reach me out on the messages.

0 Kudos
inadmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, it worked!