VMware Cloud Community
wayneoakley99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

is vDR available as separate purchase??

at VMWorld 2010 San Francisco there was a vDR presentation (BC6701 VMware Data Recovery) and during the session I seem to recall the presenter Michael White mentioning that vDR was available for purchase separately as well as included with certain levels of licensing.

The various resellers we deal with do not seem to have a line item for purchasing vDR.

so i was hoping that someone here might have some information on the availablity of vDR as a separately purchased item.

we are hoping to combine vDR and QNAP network san's to provide a tapeless backup environment and/or Managed Services system imaging solution for Small Business accounts that don't seem to know how to change tapes but still benefit from a virtual environment.

thanks

wayne

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The various resellers we deal with do not seem to have a line item for purchasing vDR

For good reason, no one in their right mind would actually PAY for VDR, VM Ware is pawning it off on their higher end products to promot it.. as a "giveaway".. There is a reason it's "included" and not sold separately.

we are hoping to combine vDR and QNAP network san's to provide a tapeless backup environment and/or Managed Services system imaging solution

You don't like your data or backup very well do you?  If you want to purchase something, buy a 3rd party.

Veeam, PHDeXpress, Vizioncore.. *ANY* or ALL of these are better than VDR, I assure you.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vDR is only available for separate purchase with vSphere Standard Lic.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... see "A la Carte Features" on page 7 at http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf

André

0 Kudos
wayneoakley99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks, just what i was looking for.

too bad only for standard.  i have tested it with the free esxi license and it appears to work, so maybe not a technical limitation.

wayne

0 Kudos