VMware Cloud Community
ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

expand storage in vdp

In ESXi 6.0 I'm using basic Data Protection 6.1.3.7.0 and It uses n.3 VMDK files of 512 GB each one which are stored in 2 TB datastore,now  space is nearly full.

What do you suggest me ?

1. I can add 2nd Data Protection VM with bigger storage and migrate old backups to the new VDP ? If yes, can I deploy the last version 6.1.11 ? Afterwards I will delete first VDP.
  2. in actual VDP can I add the 4th VMDK which will be in 2nd datastore ?

thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The "best" suggestion I have is to upgrade - neither ESXi 6.0 or VDP are supported.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

disk expansion is described here: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/vmware-data-protection-administration-guide-61.pdf (page 101ff)

also if you have a valid vcenter license you can deploy up to 10 vdp.

but as scott mentioned: both products are out of support

0 Kudos
ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I know it but now VDP is the only tool which I can use.

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

vdp is the second worst "backup solution" i know  - only topped by vdr (vmware desaster recovery). but its your choice.

you can upgrade the existing deployment to the newest release or build a new one

0 Kudos
ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I read this document more times.

It said:

NOTE

During expansion to up to 2 TB, the number of disks remains at 3, but the size of the existing disks grows. When disks are expanded, the controls to select the number of disks on each datastore are disabled.

To expand the size of the disks, select a new capacity from the list. You can expand VDP storage to 1 TB, 2 TB, 4 TB, 6 TB, or 8 TB.

Data Protection capacity is 1 TB.

I have 2 TB datastore which contains n.3 VMDK 512 GB each one.

I have to migrate to 2 TB so I cannot change the number of disks but only VMDK size. Now I cannot understand how to resize if Datastore is only 2 TB, I ask if I can add another one. In document there is  written any data about it.

In second case, my target is NOT to add another VDP so that I can balance backup among 2 vdl, but to replace the old VDP with the new one.

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

if you have not enough space on your datastores you have to expand the datastores otherwise you will not be able to expand vdp-storage.

maybe its possible (never tested) to storage-vmotion 1 or 2 vdp-disks to another datastore ? dont know if it was supported formerly, but due the fact vdp isnt supported anymore maybe it could help

0 Kudos