VMware Cloud Community
dagostinoAdmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

copy VM to esx server.

Hello all,

I have just made a Virtualized copy of a server i am running and it saved on my local computer. Is there a way using vSphere to copy the Virtual machine from my local computer to the ESXi server? Or do i have to do it through some other means?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

You can use VMware Converter to import you VM from local disk or even convert and import it to your VMware vSphere it from physical server directly.

It depends on what did you made and what are you using now.

If you have only one VMware ESXi server and one or many VM on local disk, you can use VMware Converter.

I myself prefer to use vCenter Converter (built-in) or VMware Converter to import my physical server to my virtual area.

If you can get more info, may be I or every body else can help more.

------

-= If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" =-

-= If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! =-

-= Thanks =-

Sohrab Kasraeian Fard

If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! Sohrab Kasraeianfard | http://www.kasraeian.com | @Kasraeian

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

You can use VMware Converter to import you VM from local disk or even convert and import it to your VMware vSphere it from physical server directly.

It depends on what did you made and what are you using now.

If you have only one VMware ESXi server and one or many VM on local disk, you can use VMware Converter.

I myself prefer to use vCenter Converter (built-in) or VMware Converter to import my physical server to my virtual area.

If you can get more info, may be I or every body else can help more.

------

-= If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" =-

-= Thanks =-

Sohrab Kasraeian Fard

If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! Sohrab Kasraeianfard | http://www.kasraeian.com | @Kasraeian
0 Kudos
dagostinoAdmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, I'm Going to use VMWare Vcenter Converter Standalone to port to the esxi server, although it's going through the whole conversion and not just a copy, it's getting the job done. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can convert it from physical server or the virtual you made, there would be no difference if you didn't made any changes after creation of virtual one.

But may I ask how did you create you virtual machine? is it OVF, OVA or simple virtual machine?

If it's OVA or OVF, you can import them directly to ESXi without using VMware Converter, and if you create this VM with converter before and you set the destination type to Virtual Infrastructure you can just browse your datastore on ESXi by right-clicking on it and uploading your VM folder to it or using FastSCP or WinSCP to copy it to your ESXi.

As I said before, it all depends on what you have now and how you created your VM.

------

-= Thanks =-

Sohrab Kasraeian Fard

dagostinoAdmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, i opened the datastore browser and started to upload it. thanks for the help! i forgot about this window!

0 Kudos
dagostinoAdmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hello again,

So i started to upload the file to the datastore, the file is 266 Gigs and is said to complete in 3100 minutes and increasing which equates do nearly 2 days. This is odd as we have a gigabit connection and should not take this long. Does anybody know if this is normal? and if it is, is the time exact? or highly varied?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

importing via the datastore method is extremely slow. I would use converter, it will be quicker. Or if you don't like that option use something like FastSCP

0 Kudos