VMware Cloud Community
schertle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

cannot login to vdr 2 from one client

I couldn't connect to the VDR appliance from one Sphere 5 client? I could connect from the client from the vcenter server client.

What could cause this problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MillardJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've run into the same problem; had a support case, and we came to the conclusion that there is something wonky with the SSL handshake. Luckily, there's a switch in the options file that can be set to permit plaintext communication for VDR.

If you don't already have the config file, it's a bog-standard Windows INI file, stored in the file system on the VDR appliance: /var/vmware/datarecovery/datarecovery.ini

Here's what I added:

[Options]

ConnectionAcceptMode=2

After setting the option and restarting the VDR service ("service datarecovery restart" from the appliance command line), I was able to connect from the one station that wouldn't.

——
Jim Millard
Kansas City, MO USA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Is the network reachable from the location this one vSphere client is on?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
schertle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We use a static ip for the vdr appliance. Yes I could ping the appliance.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

Check if vcenter is registred with FQDN in DNS, and do it too with your hosts vSphere.

Check firewall of vcenter if you have requeriments of ports.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101238...

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
schertle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vcenter and both hosts are registered in the dns.

no firewall on the vcenter server

The problem started after we upgrade to sphere 5 and vdr 2, before I could access the vdr from the sphere client

0 Kudos
Hanoon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try this for network testing -

To test the port availability, run these commands as root:

telnet <VC IP> 443
telnet <VC FQDN> 443
telnet <ESX IP> 443
telnet <ESX FQDN> 443
telnet <ESX IP> 902
telnet <ESX FQDN> 902

Where:

< ESX IP> is the IP address for ESX
<VC IP> is the IP for VirtualCenter
<FQDN> is the fully qualified domain name

Connect from host direct ( that holds the vDR) if you can connect then do this:

Remove Config.* from /var/vmware/datarecovery/ and restart machine , When toy reconnect to the machine It will ask to import config files (answer NO

)

hope that helps

www.247rack.com VMware cloud hosting
0 Kudos
MillardJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've run into the same problem; had a support case, and we came to the conclusion that there is something wonky with the SSL handshake. Luckily, there's a switch in the options file that can be set to permit plaintext communication for VDR.

If you don't already have the config file, it's a bog-standard Windows INI file, stored in the file system on the VDR appliance: /var/vmware/datarecovery/datarecovery.ini

Here's what I added:

[Options]

ConnectionAcceptMode=2

After setting the option and restarting the VDR service ("service datarecovery restart" from the appliance command line), I was able to connect from the one station that wouldn't.

——
Jim Millard
Kansas City, MO USA
0 Kudos
schertle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your help!

This also solved the issue for me!

0 Kudos